Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#344661 - 03/05/2011 01:14 Apple TimeCapsule vs Dlink Router problems.
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I bought a Time Capsule, but I'm finding that it is not a replacement for my Dlink wireless AP.

I worked around the lack of IP Spoofing by spoofing the TC's address on my MBP long enough to get the cable modem reconfigured to match the TC.

The thing I can't get around is the lack of DynDNS.

This works like a champ on the Dlink and they provide the support.

#344757 - 05/05/2011 03:55 Re: Apple TimeCapsule vs Dlink Router problems. [Re: gbeer]
drakino
carpal tunnel

If DynDNS free is a feature you must have on the router, then the Time Capsule doesn't have a way of providing that exact service.

I've found the client that you can install on a computer to work well enough though, and eventually migrated it off my Mac onto my ReadyNAS. I use DynDNS purely for backups of this server, so that the server can use an SSH tunnel back into my NAS to drop off the database dumps every night.

The path that the Time Capsule can support is Wide Area Bonjour. This is what Apple automatically sets up with the Back to my Mac feature of MobileMe, and manual methods do exist. DynDNS does offer support for WAB, but only on their paid plans.

Being that they are offering this, it may indicate the non Apple pieces have finally solidified enough for production use. I did attempt to get this working about two years ago without much success then, due to some flakiness in the piece needed to update BIND DNS files. I'll have to look into this more now, and see if I can get it working against my domain.

#344761 - 05/05/2011 11:47 Re: Apple TimeCapsule vs Dlink Router problems. [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
There are a number of missing features on the Time Capsule (any Airport) which is why I still use a Linksys WRTG54GL with Tomato firmware as my router, with the TC in bridge mode being used strictly as a wireless AP and GigE switch.

The two main things I was looking for that TC didn't provide were manual QoS settings, which I use to prioritize VOIP traffic, and a bandwidth monitor. This last one should be possible using SNMP which the TC does support, however I was never able to find a usable SNMP client - the simple bandwidth logging ones just didn't work.

Edited by hybrid8 (05/05/2011 21:01)

#344767 - 05/05/2011 17:32 Re: Apple TimeCapsule vs Dlink Router problems. [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
My dlink (dir-655) has QOS settings but I have them all turned off at the moment. The default settings seemed to cause more problems than solving.