Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#34568 - 16/07/2001 20:38 Red Lens and ID Tag Questions
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
Does it seem to you guys like the Mark II red lens is more of an amber/red than a real red? I'd like to see what Darkstorm's Dark Red looks like in comparison.

Also, it seems as though a few of my MP3s have strange stubborn tags. I'll edit the tags (v1 and v2) with MP3 tag studio, or Music Match, or PhatMan (PhatNoise), and the tag looks fine, but when I drop that file on the Empeg, (1.0.3) it still has an old, stupid, wrong tag on it. .. Like the Empeg database is keeping that wrong tag around. I'll even wipe all the mp3s off the drive, sync it to empty, then dump them all back with new tag information and it still holds wrong information.

I even destroyed the tag information alltogether for these files, recreated it, and dumped them back in and they still show up with wrong artists, track names, etc.....

Any ideas?

g

--
Rio Car (10MB) Blue Face (Looking for Tuner!)
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#34569 - 16/07/2001 21:31 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
did you try to just change the info in emplode ?

Matt

#34570 - 16/07/2001 22:26 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Did you delete the songs in emplode, re-synch, copy the 'new' songs in and re-re-synch?

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.

#34571 - 17/07/2001 01:47 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
Speaking of red lenses, anybody know how good the match is between the empeg red and bmw red dash lighting? I would say bmw is more of a true red than an amber-red. I'm just wondering even though I'm gonna get a red faceplate anyway when they are available.

John

#34572 - 17/07/2001 04:09 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: muzza]
grgcombs
addict

I did...

--
Rio Car (10MB) Blue/Red Face (Looking for Tuner!)
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#34573 - 17/07/2001 04:09 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: msaeger]
grgcombs
addict

Sure that works, but next time I do a full resync I get to do it all over again since it won't save the change back to the original mp3.

--
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#34574 - 17/07/2001 06:10 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
it won't change the id3 tag you are only changing the empeg's database when using emplode

Matt

#34575 - 17/07/2001 06:13 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
it seems as though a few of my MP3s have strange stubborn tags

I had some sort of the same behaviour. I am using Feurio! Professional to master CD audio and have the v3.89beta DLL of LAME installed to make MP3s right out of the project window. Funny thing is, when I select the lyrics option it outputs MP3s which as in your case show up in Emplode with another source (album) tag than the real one. When I cleared the lyrics option this 'error' did not occur.

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian # 080000263 6+20Gb blue/red

#34576 - 17/07/2001 06:26 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: edwin]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
When I cleared the lyrics option this 'error' did not occur.

Ah. I believe ID3Lib's (and thus Emplode's) handling of Lyrics tags isn't fully functional; in particular, it can read them but not write them. This means that if you've got artist or title tags in Lyrics format, they will be "stubborn" against all ID3Lib-based efforts to remove them. To fix such stubbornness, you either need to find a non-ID3Lib editor that understands Lyrics tags, or an ID3Lib one that strips them.

Peter

#34577 - 17/07/2001 06:31 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: peter]
edwin

Ah. I believe ID3Lib's (and thus Emplode's) handling of Lyrics tags isn't fully functional

Ah. I believe this will be functional in v1.1 (or whatever)

Edwin de Vaan

#34578 - 17/07/2001 08:16 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: edwin]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Nope. We've done nothing to fix the Lyrics problem.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#34579 - 17/07/2001 08:28 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
omarkhayyam
journeyman

Loc: Chicago
Actually, if you're having the same problem I did, it has nothing to do with the Empeg. I had the same kind of problem with deleting ID3v1 and v2 tags and having ID3-like information still show up on the empeg and in emplode. However, I noticed that the except same information would also appear in Winamp. Even after I (repeatedly) wiped out the ID3 tags on certain songs, and winamp should have just scolled the filename, it wouldn't. It would scroll something that looked like an ID3 tag, even though there was no ID3 tag. I have no idea where this information is stored, and never figured out how to get rid of it.

Any ideas as to where this "mystery information" is being stored?

-Adam

#34580 - 17/07/2001 08:37 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
kazama
enthusiast

Loc: Boston, MA
Does it seem to you guys like the Mark II red lens is more of an amber/red than a real red?

I would tend to agree with you but then I saw the interior of a VW Passat with the Red Lenses. The Red filter for the Empeg matches perfectly with that shade. So it may not look well against other reds but in that car it looks like standard equipment.

Greg

#34581 - 17/07/2001 09:06 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: Roger]
edwin

Oh well, who needs lyrics anyway? Listen and learn!

I do remember the 'serial projects' in the newsletters back in the old days. If only you could add a serial printer to the empeg... That would be nice! When someone in your car is singing along completely out of sync with the actual lyrics hit the print button on the new rio remote! Hehe, going off-topic, sorry for that.

Edwin de Vaan

#34582 - 17/07/2001 09:14 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: kazama]
grgcombs
addict

If it's the same red as the Audi, (I think it is) then I wonder if my lens isn't "standard" red, since mine is definitely more amber, but not quite all amber.

g

--
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#34583 - 17/07/2001 10:29 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Greg,

I had the same thoughts about the "red" lens (now in your possession) when I got it, but I didn't care too much as my initial choice of red was just to fit in with a bunch of (night vision-preserving) variably reddish lights on my boat. FWIW, I just pulled my original Empeg invoice and it definitely says red, not amber. The color was also pretty much the same as the original non-AR red that I am now using (again) temporarily. It made me think that Empeg amber must go much further into yellow.

Being in Texas, I'm going to guess that the Audi has tinted windows. I hope that makes "red" visibility better. I'll also be interested to see what other add-on lenses crop up and to see if the same VFD is used in Marks 3, 4, and 5...

(Hmmmm. Unless mine was somehow delivered with amber by mistake... It was subsequently replaced with the AR lens, I *think* when I returned it for service of a busted line-out, so I suppose there's a possibility the guys put on an AR lens of "the same" kind. I doubt this, though, as Hugo, Rob and crew tend to hit their marks and I doubt it was delivered as amber to begin with. If what you have turns out not to be "red", I'll buy you a real red when they appear.)

Jim

Edited by jimhogan on 17/07/01 06:37 PM.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#34584 - 17/07/2001 11:50 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Also, it seems as though a few of my MP3s have strange stubborn tags. I'll edit the tags (v1 and v2) with MP3 tag studio, or Music Match, or PhatMan (PhatNoise), and the tag looks fine, but when I drop that file on the Empeg, (1.0.3) it still has an old, stupid, wrong tag on it. .. Like the Empeg database is keeping that wrong tag around.

No, that's not the problem.

The problem is that you're editing the V1 tags in the MP3 file. The editing software you're using is only V1-aware and not V2-aware.

The "problem" files also include V2 tags as well. You're only changing the V1 tags and leaving the V2 tags untouched.

When Emplode gets a file with both kinds of tags, the V2 tag takes precedence. That's why Emplode is using the wrong tag.

If you have the latest version of either WinAmp or MP3 Tag Studio, those programs will edit the V2 tags for you. The latest version of MP3 Tag Studio has a nice feature which will let you strip off all the V2 tags on every MP3 file on your hard disk if you want. This will leave only the V1 tags and everything will be fine again.

Empeg guys: Are you doing anything about this in the 1.1 version of Emplode? I don't remember.

#34585 - 17/07/2001 11:59 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I just re-read your post and noticed that you did say "V1 and V2" in your original post.

If you really did change the V2 tag, then it's probably due to the files having a bad format which includes multiple (or possibly corrupted) V2 tags. MP3 tag studio isn't catching the second (or corrupted) V2 tag, but Emplode is.

If you still have an example of one of these troublesome files, you might want to send it to both the Empeg guys and to the author of MP3 Tag Studio, so that they can correct their software to compensate for the problem.

If you just want to correct the problem yourself, edit the file with a binary editor such as UltraEdit and replace the bad tag data (especially its header) with all zero bytes.

Another product you can try is MP3Trim. This will strip everything except the V1 tag off of the file if you want.

#34586 - 17/07/2001 12:04 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

By the way, here is another thread on the subject, more closely related to the problem you're having.

#34587 - 17/07/2001 12:53 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: jimhogan]
grgcombs
addict

Copy that Jim.

Granted it's not "bad", It's certainly a closer match to the red in my dash than blue ;-)

I'm hoping it won't be long before DarkStorm whips up a Mark II Dark Red ... I think that will bring a more true red than what we're seeing here.

I am curious though if this lens here is a fluke, in that other reds produced by Empeg really are red ...

dunno...

g

--
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#34588 - 17/07/2001 12:56 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: tfabris]
grgcombs
addict

Tony toni tonee (the band or the song or both?)

I'm using the latest MP3 Tag Studio, which is aware of both versions. I've tried deleting ALL (not just one or the other) tag information from these problem files and recreating it by hand with software that is aware of both versions ... still no worky.

I'm going to see if I can use that German software to wipe out the lyrics option or something (not that there's any lyrics in these files)

g

--
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#34589 - 17/07/2001 13:17 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm using the latest MP3 Tag Studio, which is aware of both versions.

Right. Read my other replies. I had exactly one file which gave me this grief.

Open the file with a binary editor such as UltraEdit and find/delete/zero-out the offending data. Odds are, it's right before the ID3V1 tag at the end of the file.

Keep a copy of the "bad" version of the file and send it to Empeg support so they can see the format and make sure that Emplode doesn't read the spurious data.

#34590 - 17/07/2001 17:23 Re: Red Lens and ID Tag Questions [Re: grgcombs]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
I wouldn't call the red lens I had amber at all, sort of a light cherry red, if it were any darker you wouldn't see much if any ambient light is around. The red, after seeing them all, is the darkest of any of the original empeg bunch. The amber IMHO could never be confused with the red lens the amber is more a yellowish tint.

#695empeg-car Mk2GRN& a mere 12Gig
"buyers regrets,NO"

Edited by jwickis on 18/07/01 01:29 AM.

#34591 - 18/07/2001 07:25 Bad Format [Re: tfabris]
grgcombs
addict

It was something from Brava Software (their header), the version ranged anywhere from 1.0 to 3.x ... whatever software is made by those guys, in those versions was what affected these files.

This information appears in the last 4 or 5kb of the file. Finding the beginning of the corrupted path string and chopping it out to the end of the file fixed my problems.

I saved some of these for prosperity.

--
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#34592 - 18/07/2001 09:16 Re: Bad Format [Re: grgcombs]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I saved some of these for prosperity.

Heh, you might want to save them for posterity instead.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to write a new FAQ entry on this subject.

#34593 - 18/07/2001 09:38 Re: Bad Format [Re: tfabris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I'm going to write a new FAQ entry on this subject.

In that case, I'll correct myself a bit: ID3Lib can read and strip Lyrics tags correctly, just not edit or rewrite them. Attacking your file with an ID3 tag stripper, then adding back V2 and/or V1 tags, will fix your problem -- as, for Linux users, will the half-assed tag editor I lashed up the other day.

Peter