Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#346991 - 18/08/2011 17:33 Palm/WebOS officially dead
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
That's it. HP has announced the discontinuation of all WebOS-based hardware, including all mobile phones and tablets. They plan to explore licensing the software to others however. Yeah, good luck with that. It's a non-starter unless Google pulls Android from OEMs other than Motorola.

And even bigger shocker, HP is also going to discuss possibly splitting off its PC business as well. Seems they're strongly thinking about enterprise-only. And printers. wink

Quote:
HP also reported that it plans to announce that its board of directors has authorized the exploration of strategic alternatives for its Personal Systems Group (PSG). HP will consider a broad range of options that may include, among others, a full or partial separation of PSG from HP through a spin-off or other transaction.

Edited by hybrid8 (18/08/2011 17:40)

#346992 - 18/08/2011 17:46 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: hybrid8]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
*snif* frown
I'll have to go put batteries in my old Handspring PDA for old time's sake.

#346993 - 18/08/2011 18:01 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: Robotic]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Unsurprising, but still sad. The writing was on the wall in massive bold letters when the pace of OS updates slowed to a crawl 6-8 months ago, and the Pre2/Pre3 releases kept getting pushed back.

Palm did a lot with very little in terms of developing a very capable OS, and some of their ideas live on in Android and iOS, just as the WebOS team stole ideas from Android and iOS in the beginning. I don't know what HPalm's patent stash looks like, but I think Google should at least kick the tires on a deal to snap up whatever else was in the pipeline when the music stopped.

#346994 - 18/08/2011 18:37 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: tonyc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Ouch. WebOS still interests me, but it just never found any traction. They lacked the skills Apple has to be a monolithic solution with good developer support, and they lacked the ability to compete with the "free" Android alternative if they had chosen to license it.

#346995 - 18/08/2011 19:02 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The big issue is that HP didn't learn anything at all from Palm's own Pre launch failure. How on earth did they believe their tablet would do any business, especially released unfinished. Frankly, they should have just not released any product at all if they weren't committed to mobile handsets. Avoiding the retail failures of mobile would have saved them a bundle. They could have spent the time shopping around a license deal or coming up with a better way to monetize those licenses than just asking for up-front or per-unit cash.

#346997 - 19/08/2011 10:26 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: HP CEO
The tablet effect is real, and sales of the TouchPad are not meeting our expectations,” Apotheker says, explaining the movement of consumers from PCs to tablets as one of the problems with the PC division. So H-P is exploring options for its unit that “may include separation through spinoff or other transactions.”

Who would have thought that Apple would become the world's largest computer maker (units shipped and profit), and that the number two company would suddenly think about partially closing up shop. Wow.

#347003 - 19/08/2011 13:49 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

This looks very ugly:
Originally Posted By: PreCentral
As you might imagine, today’s news out of HP came as a shock to almost everybody working in the webOS Global Business Unit (formerly known as Palm, Inc.). According to details give to This Is My Next, an all-hands meeting was called, chaired by webOS GBU VP Stephen DeWitt, who made it clear that HP will continue work on webOS, with the likely end goal of licensing the OS. He was reportedly “adamant,” saying that “We are not walking away from webOS,” with the goal of having the platform’s future outlined by within two weeks. HP VP, Personal Systems Group, pointed out that HP could license webOS, since it’s designed to work on popular Qualcomm chips.

If you ask us, this sounds like a gaggle of executives caught off guard by their bosses, trying desperately to spin something positive to their employees. It’s not pretty, and the fact that they’re admitting that “they don’t have all the answers today” tells us that even executives as high as Bradley didn’t know what was happening. Both Bradley and DeWitt reportedly stated that the reason webOS wasn’t succeeding was because of the lackluster hardware (agreed) and that they need to stop “trying to force non-competitive products into the market.”

From my experience at Compaq going into the HP merger, it sounds about right though. There was this bad culture there where the public usually found out about major moves like this before the employees inside.

This also explains why news was out there about the Pre 3 phone launching in Europe and coming soon to the US.

Overall it really seems like the Palm team was screwed over by the Mark Hurd CEO controversy. He was at the helm when HP acquired Palm, and now Apotheker is there, gutting one of the key Hurd decisions.

#347006 - 19/08/2011 14:14 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Who would have thought that Apple would become the world's largest computer maker (units shipped and profit), and that the number two company would suddenly think about partially closing up shop. Wow.

Several years ago, I happened to be sitting on a plane next to a chatty HP executive. He was explaining to me that HP's size gave them serious purchasing power for things like hard drives and that this allowed them to do well in the consumer market. Well, now we see that this it's about more than just managing your profit margin.

So far as I can tell, the only other company out there that's had a history of trying to be truly innovative in its PC hardware design is Sony. Back in the day, the Sony 505's were the best subnotebook around, bar none, and the current Vaio Z is still pushing the boundaries (lightweight laptop, clever docking station with its own GPU, etc.). But, I have to say, after my experience ten years ago with the 505, I have no desire to ever deal with Sony customer service ever again.

#347008 - 19/08/2011 20:20 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
HP service, even enterprise service (on servers, anyway), is also lousy.

I never thought I'd say it, but it was a breath of fresh air when I had to call Dell.

#347014 - 20/08/2011 02:06 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: wfaulk]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
What problem did u have? HP was always decent with us (servers too), even though improvable.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#347016 - 20/08/2011 02:16 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

TouchPads are now $99 for 16GB and $149 for 32GB models, at least in Canada.

#347018 - 20/08/2011 05:26 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: Taym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Having worked on the Proliant support team in the past, I could possibly see where Bitt had some bad experiences. Post merger, Carly, or some other high end HP exec really didn't like how much the support division was costing the company. They started outsourcing enterprise non contract support, and later even started doing so on the contract side a bit. This was also around the time when the company was under a pay freeze policy, including for promotions.

The combination of those two things was disastrous. Employees were either being culled in layoffs, or leaving due to the lack of being able to earn more money as they took on tougher positions. They did back off on the outsourcing on contracts when several high profile customers were complaining. But the warranty only support took a big hit.

Compaq took enterprise support very seriously when I started. All people on the frontline phone support had 9 weeks of in depth hands on training time. Then about 2 weeks of shadowing on the call floor. I'm not sure how drastically this changed once the company was HP, as we never hired any new support engineers at the site I worked at.

#347024 - 20/08/2011 13:42 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: Taym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Basically, every HP support tech I've spoken with in the last three months has been in India. I have political issues with that, but I'm willing to ignore it as a computer professional. However, they are universally horrible at speaking English, and whether due to their lack of English comprehension, lack of training, or just general idiocy, I usually have to explain any sort of problem over and over again. Also, one engineer I spoke with was so unintelligible that I had to force him to communicate via email, and he would regularly decide to stop and call anyway.

I don't have anything against Indian people, but these were employees clearly unfit to provide service to English-speaking customers. I suspect they may be unfit to provide technical support to anyone, regardless of their language, but I can't prove that.

Dell enterprise support largely has well-trained, US-based (and, therefore, generally with good English communication skills) techs. They clearly understand their technology well, and are personable. Again, other than politics, I don't have any requirement to deal with Americans; I've dealt with Australians working for Cisco tech support, and that was pretty good. The issue is the language barrier. The kinds of problems I generally call for are hard to explain on their own, nevermind trying to also work through failure to understand grammatical tenses properly.

Taym, I would suspect that Italian, not being a commonly spoken language other than in Italy (and surrounding regions), your Italian-speaking techs are actually native Italian speakers, and you probably don't have this issue.

Edited by wfaulk (20/08/2011 13:52)

#347027 - 20/08/2011 17:47 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: wfaulk]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Also, one engineer I spoke with was so unintelligible that I had to force him to communicate via email, and he would regularly decide to stop and call anyway.

I've found that going out on a heavy drinking binge with these people helps my comprehension dramatically.
Not so easy to do over the phone, but not impossible... wink

#347029 - 20/08/2011 23:05 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: Robotic]
Taym
carpal tunnel

I see what u mean Bitt. Interestingly, i noticed that our care pack calls on servers are dealt with by local official HP partner where in fact our contacts have been native Italian speakers. But warranty calls are handled by call centers usually in Eastern EU, and while with HP we've been sufficiently happy, it can get really bad, just as u describe.

#347030 - 20/08/2011 23:10 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: Taym]
Taym
carpal tunnel

... Once i decided to ask for an English speaking person, in the hope things would improve. I could really not get 3 out of 4 words. I Felt bad, honestly, as i could picture this poor guy trying his best in an underpaid job, but i was desperate. The English speaking guy was better, fortunately.

#347035 - 21/08/2011 15:18 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I decided to pick up one of the fire sale 32GB TouchPads from Amazon (I was unlucky in my quest to find a 16GB model.)

Even if rumors of an Android port don't pan out (and I think there's probably more involved there than people are letting on) I figure it'll be useful as a small device to keep in the kitchen for my wife and I to maintain our grocery list, view photos, weather info, etc. It's also nice that they finally released the Kindle app a couple of months ago.

Heck, for the prices they're going for now, I think they're a good buy even if they're just used as nothing other than a digital picture frame.

#347036 - 21/08/2011 15:58 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Can you set them to turn on/off at specific times of day? A digital picture frame needs that ability. Is there a picture frame type app for them that pulls pictures off the network? It's also be nice if said app supported RAW formats.

I'd buy one for $99 to use as a picture frame.

Edited by hybrid8 (21/08/2011 15:59)

#347037 - 21/08/2011 16:15 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I'm not sure. On my Pre there was a "Mode Switcher" app that could change power status / brightness / etc. based on date, time, and many other things (similar to Tasker on Android) but I don't know if it would work on a TouchPad.

Even if it doesn't, I think the homebrew community is going to get a nice shot in the arm with this fire sale, and someone will come up with something.

#347038 - 21/08/2011 19:48 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: tonyc]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK

#347039 - 22/08/2011 00:43 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Can you set them to turn on/off at specific times of day? A digital picture frame needs that ability.

Sadly few of them do. Most seem to be $120 pieces of crap. Whether the TouchPad is able to do this or not, it's still a great price for a digital photo frame compared to the rest of the market.

Tony, that's a brilliant idea. I hadn't even thought about using it for that purpose. I might suddenly be in the market for one too...

#347042 - 22/08/2011 01:44 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Yeah, and it's funny, because I'm clearly on the record here as not really understanding the appeal of tablets, but the calculus changes a lot at these price levels. Dropping $400 for something to view slideshows, browse recipes, and maintain grocery lists sounds silly, but at $100, suddenly it sounds pretty compelling.

The next decision will be if I feel the need to shell out for the Touchstone dock for it, which will end up costing almost as much as I paid for the device itself.

#347043 - 22/08/2011 02:22 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: tonyc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tonyc
I decided to pick up one of the fire sale 32GB TouchPads from Amazon (I was unlucky in my quest to find a 16GB model.)

+1

Somewhat ironic that I ordered mine via my iPad while on a weekend trip. I'm generally against jailbreaking my iOS devices since Apple also keeps adding features in updates that I want. Repeating the jailbreak dance just isn't worth it to me anymore. With the Touchpad, it will give me a stable hacking platform to tinker with, since I doubt we will see any updates.

On the Android porting front, I bet someone will get the basics working, but never make it feel correct. Much of the work to make it proper is at the driver level, especially with power management. So far, drivers are still the main reason that my Android phone (an older iPhone) just isn't usable beyond going "hey look, I have Android on an iPhone".

Tony, I'll be curious to hear your impressions, especially since you are a former Pre owner. One of the difference I think I remember between the phone and tablet is the loss of the off screen gesture area.

#347044 - 22/08/2011 02:28 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: drakino]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I tried to pull the trigger on one, but the HP site is so hosed that I have no idea if I got it or not. I figure if it comes, ok, and if not, ok. I'm not even sure I have time to dink with it.

#347045 - 22/08/2011 03:29 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: Daria]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The TouchPad section on the UK site just ends in a 404 frown

Edited by andy (22/08/2011 03:30)

#347046 - 22/08/2011 04:51 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: andy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: andy

...and a quick scan of UK retailers shows that they're still asking full price at the moment.

#347048 - 22/08/2011 05:55 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: Roger]
dr_dos

Loc: Bendorf, Germany
Originally Posted By: Roger
Originally Posted By: andy

...and a quick scan of UK retailers shows that they're still asking full price at the moment.

Same thing here in Germany.

#347050 - 22/08/2011 12:41 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tonyc
Yeah, and it's funny, because I'm clearly on the record here as not really understanding the appeal of tablets, but the calculus changes a lot at these price levels.

I totally agree, and that's been my point from the beginning. I don't think that tablets are inherently useless, but I also think that $400 or more is a ridiculous price for what you get.

#347051 - 22/08/2011 14:08 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I totally agree, and that's been my point from the beginning. I don't think that tablets are inherently useless, but I also think that $400 or more is a ridiculous price for what you get.
Uhhh... yeah. What he said.

My wife has an iPad. She also has an iPhone. She also has an iPod. She also has a Touch. She also has an iMac. She also has a Kindle. It seems to me that, with the exception of the iMac, all of these things have overlapping functionality. What is an iPad other than a super-sized Touch. What does an iPod do that a Touch doesn't do? What does Touch do that an iPhone doesn't do? What does a Kindle do that an iPad doesn't do?

It is preposterous watching her pack for a trip. Her electronics checklist now runs to 22 separate items! On her last trip, she paid nearly $200 in overweight baggage charges. Aaaarrrgggh!

OK, [/rant]. smile

tanstaafl.

#347052 - 22/08/2011 14:17 Re: Palm/WebOS officially dead [Re: tanstaafl.]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I'm not sure what you are dealing with there is an issue with the devices...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >