Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#351441 - 10/04/2012 11:25 Manual Can Opener Recommendation?
Redrum
old hand

I would definitely not call myself normal and one of the ways I probably differ from the norm is I prefer a manual can opener to an eclectic. Opening a can of tuna over the sink and spilling tuna juice into the sink rather than on the counter just seems the way to go. Unfortunately every new can opener I get seems to break sooner and sooner. A recent can opener lasted me about a week. I returned that one and the replacement lasted about two weeks. I’ve tried to buy the more expensive models in the stores but they still break. I’ve gone through about five can openers in the last six months.

So, I’m looking for a manual handheld opener that will last. I would think $20 should buy a good opener that should last a few years (like they did in the old days). Anyone have a suggestion?

#351442 - 10/04/2012 11:36 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
We're quite happy with these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-Proline...899&sr=8-47

They also do a version with a magnet to hold the newly cut lid

#351443 - 10/04/2012 11:46 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: tahir]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Yup - Leifheit for me as well. Haven't broken it, and I can't count how long I have had it...
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#351444 - 10/04/2012 11:50 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: tahir]
Redrum
old hand

Thanks. The only thing about that one is I’m leery of the plastic turning handle. The last two openers I had broke when the plastic handle stripped out. One would no longer spin the can and the other one just came off.

I had one that would spin the can by squeezing the handle. I really liked that design but after going through two in a couple months that was the end my desire for those.

#351445 - 10/04/2012 11:59 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm a fan of the Oxo can opener, but my wife hates it. It cuts around the side edge of the lid, so when you're done, neither the edge of the can or lid is sharp. I think it doesn't work that well if you don't have a good amount of strength in your hands, which is why I think my wife hates it because it doesn't work that well for her. It might also be because it's about 5 years old now so maybe its cutting blade has dulled a bit.

Really, I'd recommend an Oxo product for pretty much anything...

#351446 - 10/04/2012 12:09 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Dignan]
StigOE
addict

I think my can opener is a Tupperware opener, but functions the same as the Oxo opener Dignan mentioned, but I don't think you need very strong hands to operate it. It also has a big grip so you can use the whole hand to operate instead of just some fingers. I think it's something like this. A bit more than your $20, but if it lasts it might be worth it... smile

#351447 - 10/04/2012 12:10 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Dignan]
Redrum
old hand

Sorry I'm with your wife on this one. With the side cutters you can't press the lid down into the tuna can and squeeze out the juice. Plus the sharp top on the can just seems more dangerous, to me.

#351448 - 10/04/2012 12:12 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: StigOE]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'll second Matt's recommendation for a side-cutting opener. Kuhn Rikon makes them as well and if you get the stainless version, there's no chance whatsoever that you or anyone else will ever break it. http://www.bigkitchen.com/product/Kuhn-R...and_Jar_Openers

As Matt also mentioned, the blade will get dull over time. But mine is 10 years old and still usable.

Edited by hybrid8 (10/04/2012 12:17)

#351449 - 10/04/2012 12:12 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
This one is really rugged:

http://www.amazon.com/GI-Large-P-51-Can-Opener/dp/B00176IMW4

I definitely prefer the full metal pieces than the plastic ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Swing-A-Way-7...7051&sr=8-4

#351450 - 10/04/2012 12:13 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: StigOE]
Redrum
old hand

Originally Posted By: StigOE
I think my can opener is a Tupperware opener, but functions the same as the Oxo opener Dignan mentioned, but I don't think you need very strong hands to operate it. It also has a big grip so you can use the whole hand to operate instead of just some fingers. I think it's something like this. A bit more than your $20, but if it lasts it might be worth it... smile

Yep, that is our "back-up" opener and seems to work OK. The wife likes the side opener but sorry I'm a hater.

#351451 - 10/04/2012 12:20 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Redrum
Plus the sharp top on the can just seems more dangerous, to me.

With the Kuhn Rikon and Oxo the top of the can should never be sharp. The cut is made along the seam, not below it, and the cut is rounded as it's made.

#351453 - 10/04/2012 12:33 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: hybrid8]
Redrum
old hand

Originally Posted By: hybrid8

With the Kuhn Rikon and Oxo the top of the can should never be sharp. The cut is made along the seam, not below it, and the cut is rounded as it's made.

Can you push the top of the lid down into the can?

Tuna, green beans, canned potatoes... I live on these sorts of things that need the juice removed.

#351456 - 10/04/2012 13:25 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Sorry I'm with your wife on this one. With the side cutters you can't press the lid down into the tuna can and squeeze out the juice. Plus the sharp top on the can just seems more dangerous, to me.

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're talking about there. It's the opposite way around: traditional can openers create a sharp edge, and that's the whole reason for these side-cutters in the first place. I could easily run my finger down the edge of the lid after I've removed it with the Oxo. Not so with regular openers.

As for the liquid, no, you can't press the lid inward into the can. You can't press the juice out, but I have no problems draining the juice by holding the lid slightly askew from the top of the can. We do it all the time to make tuna sandwiches and tuna treats for the cats.

#351457 - 10/04/2012 13:35 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Dignan]
Redrum
old hand

The side cutter opener I have cuts below the can ridge and in most cases into the paper label (making it harder to cut). After removing the lid the top of the can is razor sharp as well as the lid bottom.

From the sounds of it your opener cuts the rim???

Your side opener sounds much better than mine. Regardless I’m too impatient to wait for the “juice” to drain and like to squeeze it all out.

#351458 - 10/04/2012 14:08 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
StigOE
addict

The opener I have cuts the rim and definitely doesn't leave any sharp edges, but as have been said, you can't press the lid down into the can.

#351462 - 10/04/2012 14:25 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: StigOE]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I'll also add a recommendation for a side cutter, since it yields a lid that goes back on the can when you used half of the contents and want to put the rest in the fridge.

We have both styles. I always use the side cutter and my wife always uses the top cutter. To each his own...

#351465 - 10/04/2012 15:43 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

The side cutter opener I have cuts below the can ridge and in most cases into the paper label (making it harder to cut). After removing the lid the top of the can is razor sharp as well as the lid bottom.

From the sounds of it your opener cuts the rim???

Exactly. Now that you mention it, I've heard of the kind you're talking about. This is definitely different, though. It cuts right along the rim of the can and creates no sharp edges.

Quote:
Regardless I’m too impatient to wait for the “juice” to drain and like to squeeze it all out.

Yeah, I can see that being an advantage. It's not a big deal to me, though. Most of the canned stuff we use is beans for things like chili, and we drain and rinse those in a colander anyway.

#351468 - 10/04/2012 17:47 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
So, I’m looking for a manual handheld opener that will last
I've been happy with this one, but you might dismiss it due to the plastic knob. The knob does seem to be pretty massive and strong, however.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Can Opener.jpg

#351470 - 10/04/2012 17:53 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I tend to find that Zyliss makes well-thought-out kitchen gadgets, and they have 5-year warranties. I don't have any experience with their can openers, though.

#351471 - 10/04/2012 17:56 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Redrum
old hand

Thanks, I'm not anti-plastic, just anti-crap-plastic.

One of my cars is mostly plastic, well, fiberglass.

#351475 - 10/04/2012 23:29 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Not handheld, but manual:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1278253

I've had mine for like 15 years and it still works fine. The one in my parents house has got to be at least as old as I am and the only thing wrong with it is the magnet came off sometime when I was in college.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#351476 - 10/04/2012 23:45 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I am afraid to shake hands with you, you must have a grip like a vice smile I have only bought cheap can openers and have never had one break. The one I have has a metal handle but it was just a cheap one from a department store.

I have tried the side cutting kind and haven't had any luck with them either. I also would never want an electric one you can't wash those.

Matt

#351478 - 11/04/2012 00:14 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: msaeger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: msaeger

I have tried the side cutting kind and haven't had any luck with them either. I also would never want an electric one you can't wash those.

Electrics I've used had parts that can be removed for washing.

#351479 - 11/04/2012 00:52 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: gbeer]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
That Amco Tim linked to is what's been in my kitchen for the last 20 years, and shows no signs of wanting replacement in the next few years.

#351484 - 11/04/2012 10:11 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Heather]
Redrum
old hand

Originally Posted By: Heather
Not handheld, but manual:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1278253

I've had mine for like 15 years and it still works fine. The one in my parents house has got to be at least as old as I am and the only thing wrong with it is the magnet came off sometime when I was in college.

When I think of quality can openers this is what I think of. I believe I have the exact same opener in another house and it has been going strong for I would say 50 years.

I’m glad to know these are still make these. Maybe a Swing-A-Way hand held would be as good. Hopefully the need to save a penny hasn’t reduced the quality of these to “tin junk.”

#351485 - 11/04/2012 10:41 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: msaeger]
Redrum
old hand

Originally Posted By: msaeger
I am afraid to shake hands with you, you must have a grip like a vice smile I have only bought cheap can openers and have never had one break. The one I have has a metal handle but it was just a cheap one from a department store.

Well I have won way more arm wrestling competitions than I’ve lost smile

I think there are several issues at play here (as you see I’ve done way more thinking about this than I should). First, manufactures in general have been cutting costs and if quality goes down as a result big deal. Especially for an item under $10. I agree their reasoning is sound. Out of the last five can openers I gone through I’ve only returned one. Chances are the consumer will not waste their time returning an item under $10. Second, manual can openers are considered “low end” by many. After all, why would someone want to manually open a can when a machine could do it for you. Since the demographics target the low income consumer the manufactures create low cost, cheap, openers. Thirdly, I live in a rural area. Even the nearest Walmart is 20 miles away. So I do not often have the opportunity to “cruise the mall” or high end store.

#351488 - 11/04/2012 11:38 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Are automatic/electric can openers popular? I've never seen one in person at anyone's home before. Everyone I know, or have ever known, where I've had the chance to check this kind of thing out, has always had a manual opener.

#351489 - 11/04/2012 11:52 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: hybrid8]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
My parents have a fully automatic can opener -- useful for folks like them that suffer from arthritis.

Cheers

#351490 - 11/04/2012 12:09 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: hybrid8]
Redrum
old hand

Most of the people I know have under the cupboard electric openers.

The one I had often dropped the can or spilled juice all over the counter.

Edited by Redrum (11/04/2012 12:14)

#351499 - 11/04/2012 16:58 Re: Manual Can Opener Recommendation? [Re: Redrum]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I used to have an electric can opener. The idea was really neat. You basically attached it to the can like a regular can opener, and when you pressed down on the latch to cut into the lid, the thing would sort of "take off" and start running around the can by its self. If the can was heavy enough you could let go entirely and it would finish the job and wait for you to take it off.

But frankly, it was indeed hard to clean, and I got tired of charging it all the time. I'm much happier with the Oxo. I don't think I'd want one of those swing-away ones because I'd have to find a place for it that didn't bother me too much...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >