Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3534 - 02/01/2000 14:19 Display twisted slightly
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

I bought my unit #144 used. I have noticed that the vacuum-fluorescent display isn't lined up exactly with the rest of the unit. It's twisted slightly, so that the words run downhill.

It's only very slight, and you have to look closely to notice it. So it's not a big deal. But when I was swapping the faceplates, I thought about trying to straighten it. I didn't try anything (after everything I've read about how fragile the display is, I'm afraid to touch anything), I just thought about it.

The front-facing circuit board is straight, it's the display itself that's canted slightly in relation to that circuit board.

Here's my question: Is it possible to adjust the display's angle independently of that circuit board? Or is it soldered directly to it? If it's soldered on there, I won't worry about it. But if it's mounted with screws or something, I might think about trying to adjust it once my warranty period has run out. I'd probably do it at the same time I upgrade the hard disk (which won't happen for a few months anyway).

#3535 - 03/01/2000 04:44 Re: Display twisted slightly [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The VFD is soldered to the PCB via a row of pins along the upper edge. It should be possible to realign it by a small amount, but I wouldn't reccommend doing so as certain parts of the display are quite fragile if exposed to direct force (e.g. the glass nipple near the power LED).

Rob

#3536 - 03/01/2000 09:34 Re: Display twisted slightly [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Thanks, Rob. I won't touch it, then. It's very slight and hardly noticeable.