Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#356644 - 03/12/2012 20:51 Help finding a USB M-F adapter cable
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
TL;DR version: Where can I get an adapter like this but in cable form?

Long version:
Some background: I've got a couple of pieces of equipment (dental x-ray sensors) that get carried around from room to room and attached to the computers in those rooms by means of a long USB cable that stays attached to each computer. The existing equipment has a full size USB B female connector on it. Repeated connecting and disconnecting loosens this connector to the point where it needs to be replaced occasionally. However, I don't want to leave the USB cable attached and move it from room to room because it's a 5 meter cable so it's heavy, the computer's ports are not easily accessible, and leaving it attached to the sensor causes problems with storing the sensor while it's not being used. I also can't afford to get a different sensor for each room as they're ridiculously expensive (about $5k! each, plus we have different sizes to worry about).

I just got a couple of new sensors, and these sensors have mini-b female connectors on them. The mini-b might be more reliable than the full size B connector, but the problem with the old sensors is that the force of connecting and disconnecting combined with the leverage on the connector while moving the sensor around eventually causes the solder attachments to break where the female receptacle meets the board. A more robust connector isn't going to help there as long as the connector itself is soldered to the board.

I want to minimize connections/disconnections on the sensor itself, and I want to only have to run one cable out from the computer to the dental chair. So, I want to keep the existing long USB A-B cable that's connected to each computer, and then just get a short little dongle for the new sensors that terminates in a full size female B connector. This lets me use the existing cable to the computer, and provides a different connection/disconnection point than the sensor itself. I've seen plenty of these in a solid adapter form like the picture, but I don't want that. I'm afraid such a bulky adapter will provide much greater leverage for the lateral stress on the sensor's connector while the sensor gets moved around. I want a short little cable, like 3 to 12 inches)

Searching all the usual suspects, I can't find anything like what I want. The closest I've found has been this panel-mount version, but I'd have to dremel the ears off so they don't get in the way. Have any of you ever seen such a thing or know of a good source to check? Assuming nothing like this has ever been made before, what's a good source for a very small run (a dozen?) of custom cables like this?

My backup plan would be to replace the long USB cable running from the computers with a long USB A-A extension cable instead, then buy really short USB A-B cables to stay attached to the old equipment, and A to mini-b cables to attach to the new equipment. However, the existing long USB cables snake out of cabinets and are attached to walls in places, and I just don't feel like climbing back there and redoing all that if I can help it.

So, thanks in advance for any help you can give!

#356645 - 03/12/2012 21:15 Re: Help finding a USB M-F adapter cable [Re: adavidw]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I think using a solid connector like the one in the picture will increase the lever arm on the solder connections, making them easier to break. You should use cable adapters, like the dog ear one. Do that on the original sensors too.

#356648 - 04/12/2012 00:57 Re: Help finding a USB M-F adapter cable [Re: adavidw]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
How about this. Which will turn your long a-b cable into an a-a extension.

Then just have the, std a to b, or, std a to micro b, attached to the scanner.

Maybe even use a few zip ties to attach the short cable to the leg of the scanner, as a strain relief.

#356651 - 04/12/2012 06:43 Re: Help finding a USB M-F adapter cable [Re: gbeer]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Originally Posted By: gbeer
How about this. Which will turn your long a-b cable into an a-a extension.

That's good thinking. I hadn't thought of that. That's why I come here!

It's a little janky to have three separate components between the device and its host, but it's definitely easier than routing a new cable right now. I may just go this route. I might decide to replace the whole long section of cable or do something else sometime down the road, but this will let me put the new equipment into service a lot sooner.

#356663 - 05/12/2012 00:32 Re: Help finding a USB M-F adapter cable [Re: adavidw]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
A bit of heat shrink tubing will keep the adaptor nicely on the end of the long cable.