Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#35923 - 07/08/2001 07:27 Removable Faceplate
LTJBukem
enthusiast

I'm sure this must have been floated before, but are there any plans to give the Empeg a removable faceplate, for instances where you would not need to take the unit out of the car. eg. at work.

Cheers

LTJ

#35924 - 07/08/2001 07:55 Re: Removable Faceplate [Re: LTJBukem]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
It has been brought up before. No plans right now.

Rob

#35925 - 07/08/2001 09:02 Re: Removable Faceplate [Re: LTJBukem]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm going to give my standard boilerplate answer to this one again:

Removable faceplates don't deter theft. I had a removable-faceplate CD player stolen. The thieves just take it and order a $50.00 faceplate from the manufacturer.

The only way to prevent theft is to not leave anything to steal. That's what's great about pullout units like the empeg.

I have also got a cover plate (original Honda part) to cover the hole where the sled is. When I take the unit out and cover the hole, it looks like the car doesn't even have a stereo installed at all. Nothing to steal, not a target, no problems.

If you purchase the Empeg carrying case, bringing the unit with you isn't as much trouble as you'd think. I have brought it almost everywhere, and it's not a problem. For the few times where it would be troublesome to carry it, I simply don't bring it with me at all. This is pretty rarely.

#35926 - 07/08/2001 09:58 Re: Removable Faceplate [Re: tfabris]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
When I take the unit out and cover the hole, it looks like the car doesn't even have a stereo installed at all. Nothing to steal, not a target, no problems.

Apart from those expensive speakers that anyone can see installed in the back of your car. Empeg stickers on the windows also provide burglars a very nice option to pick out those cars which most certainly have (expensive) amplifiers and cables installed.
Oh well, if they want to steal anything out of your car or even your car itself, they take it away. Just make sure you're have a nice insurrance.

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 # 080000263 (queue 1232) 6+20Gb blue/red

#35927 - 07/08/2001 10:01 Re: Removable Faceplate [Re: edwin]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
My expensive speakers are in the stock places, so no one can see them without taking the panels off. The amp is out of view. I don't like putting stickers all over my car, so that's not a problem either.

Sean

#35928 - 07/08/2001 10:27 Re: Removable Faceplate [Re: edwin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Apart from those expensive speakers that anyone can see installed in the back of your car.

Nope, my speakers are under the factory grilles and you can't tell that there's anything there at all other than the standard speakers. Stealth is a very important part of my installations.

Empeg stickers on the windows also provide burglars a very nice option to pick out those cars which most certainly have (expensive) amplifiers and cables installed.

Only if they know what "empeg" is. I don't have empeg stickers on the windows anyway. My license plate, on the other hand...

#35929 - 07/08/2001 21:04 Re: Removable Faceplate [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I think the fact that few people would know what the empeg is will prevent thefts the unit is pretty boring looking when off (no offence) so I think your average car stereo thief would pass it up for something that looks more expensive.

but I still take mine out all the time because I am paranoid.

32Gig MK2 In 2001 VW Golf TDI

Matt