Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#361751 - 20/05/2014 13:43 Windows Vista feature that seems to be missing in Windows 8.1
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
In Windows Vista, in the keyboard setup portion of Control Panel, there was an option to change the delay between the time I pressed and held a key until the auto-repeat function kicked in.

Is there a way to do this in Windows 8.1?

tanstaafl.

#361753 - 20/05/2014 14:05 Re: Windows Vista feature that seems to be missing in Windows 8.1 [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
On my copy of Windows 8.1, it's still there in the same place it always was, Control Panel, (search box:) Keyboard. There are sliders for repeat delay and repeat rate, in the same old dialog box as always.

Strangely, I can't seem to find out how to reach that dialog box without using the control panel's "search" box to find it. If I try to navigate the hardware menu by hand, I can't see an option for the keyboard. Note that I have that same problem on both Win7 and Win8.1, so this isn't a Win8-specific thing.

Note: If you're having trouble finding the old-school control panel at all in Windows 8.1, you can make a shortcut to CONTROL.EXE.

#361755 - 20/05/2014 18:14 Re: Windows Vista feature that seems to be missing in Windows 8.1 [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Strangely, I can't seem to find out how to reach that dialog box without using the control panel's "search" box to find it.
Odd. My Control Panel menu has it. I just never noticed the "Speed" tab and always ended up in the "Mouse and Keyboard Center" default, so I missed being able to change the auto-repeat delay.

Thank you. That 10-second delay (OK, more like three quarters of a second, but it seemed like 10 seconds!) was driving me crazy.

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Note: If you're having trouble finding the old-school control panel at all in Windows 8.1, you can make a shortcut to CONTROL.EXE.
Hah! I made the computer store put that shortcut down in my taskbar before I even brought the computer home!

tanstaafl.

Attachments
keyboard.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl. (20/05/2014 18:17)