Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#362216 - 15/07/2014 13:20 YouView
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Seeing as some people are worried about the lack of posts here...

I have a YouView PVR (for non UK people it's a Humax DTR T1000), it's actually quite a nice bit of kit, integrated iPlayer, 4oD and other catch up services and a relatively polished GUI for a non subscription product.

Unfortunately the bloody thing keeps losing it's channels, and I can't seem to activate "Maintenance Mode" which has a "reset without losing all your recordings" setting, the standard reset formats the HDD (thanks for that). When it loses it's channels it complains of a lack of signal but (if I get lucky) retuning 5 mins later will get all my channels back. Some times however it takes several reboots before it will successfully retune.

Looking at TalkTalk/BT/Humax sites there's no guarantee that your YouView box will actually enter maintenance mode, and talking to Humax will result in a device reset that loses all your recordings.

So...

Does anyone here have one that exhibits similar behaviour?

Is there a hacked firmware that lets you change the reset options?

Am I mentally challenged or does my box simply not go into maintenance mode?

Is there a way to back up my recordings via USB?

Is there a better (non sub) PVR with integrated on demand players (I have satellite and terrestrial aerials)? Must be simple enough for elderly in laws to use

#362218 - 15/07/2014 16:50 Re: YouView [Re: tahir]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
There's a lot of exciting stuff happening in this space (though the Aereo decision might cause a chilling effect here). I haven't heard of the YouView, but there are some other products like the Tablo that look interesting too.