Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#362924 - 11/11/2014 19:45 Re: The OnePlus One [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Like I said, the entire process usually takes about a week, but they estimate 2 weeks just to control expectations.

New software/firmware update out for it today, fixes a number of radio issues and other stuff. Good to see them still rolling along.

Cheers

#362942 - 13/11/2014 13:59 Re: The OnePlus One [Re: mlord]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Got the phone yesterday. The immediate disappointment was a rather noticeable scuff on the glass that I saw after pulling the plastic off. It's not a deep scratch or anything, but runs about 2/3 the width of the phone and is about the thickness of a nickel, so it shows up enough that it bothers me. I thought the glass was supposed to be among the best out there, so I'm kind of surprised. Anyone know what sort of coatings (if any) are applied to the OPO's screen?

My understanding is that the RMA process is kind of a nightmare right now since they're still ramping up their production / support capabilities, so I'm hesitant to send it back and be without a phone for a long time. I've ordered screen protectors from Amazon that can hopefully mask it and prevent any further damage.

The phone itself is great so far. I did root it so I could run a few XPosed framework mods, but decided to use the OTA updates rather than switch to pre-rooted CM11. The device isn't nearly as cumbersome as some reviews have suggested, and honestly, it doesn't feel that much larger than the Nexus 5 even though it is. This makes me think that if the Nexus 6 form factor becomes the norm, maybe things won't be so bad. The OPO even fits in a car mount that I originally bought for my Nexus 4, though just barely.

The Cyanogenmod 11S-specific features are mostly sort of meh. I guess they took out the voice unlock, which I don't think I'd use anyway. The "flashlight on" gesture is way too easy to trigger manually so I disabled it, but the other gestures for opening the camera and changing music tracks are really nice. The custom lock screen is pretty, but I make enough use of the slider shortcuts that I've switched back to the normal CM11 lock screen.

Haven't gotten a sense of battery life yet. I did order a Qi receiver since they're now making ones that purport to put out a full amp of charge.

Overall, this is certainly the right phone for me now specs wise, but I'm kind of bummed about the manufacturing defect and the fact that the company's getting a reputation for not being very responsive to support/warranty problems.

#362951 - 13/11/2014 20:53 Re: The OnePlus One [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Well, bummed to hear about the scuff in the screen coating -- I wonder if it will just disappear when a glass screen protector is applied over top?

#362954 - 14/11/2014 08:47 Re: The OnePlus One [Re: tonyc]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
As someone from the other side - let them know about the issue ASAP. Telling them several days/weeks later will make them (reasonably) suspicious that it was not a pre-existing issue.

Then work out a plan to handle it (possibly including a screen protector and deferred replacement). Small ops have real people doing customer service. They won't want to *have* to send you a new phone right away and are very aware of costs; being reasonable and flexible is appreciated in my experience.

#363035 - 26/11/2014 19:58 Re: The OnePlus One [Re: mlord]
ghostwheel
new poster

Loc: Koblenz, Germany
Like Mark I have three "invites" for the OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone black - just PM me if you want one. The invites must be redeemed within 6 days from now.

Alex

#363070 - 03/12/2014 01:39 Re: The OnePlus One [Re: mlord]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Well this sucks. No immediate effect, but the CyanogenMod relationship was a big part of my decision to get an OPO. It'd be a shame if it went kaput over typical business pissing contest BS.

#363073 - 03/12/2014 11:21 Re: The OnePlus One [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Wow! That's a really boneheaded move on Cyanogen's part. The OnePlus One was the first time they were getting decent publicity.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3