How did that work for you? I'm always interested to read about other options for getting music onto my iPhone, without using iTunes.
Not sure yet. But here's what I have done so far:
- I'm trying to load my MP3 library onto my phone so that, while I'm still trying to work out how to get the empeg into the new car, I can still listen to stuff through Apple Car Play. Temporarily, mind you.
- I have found that the standard Apple library way of handling and playing songs is woefully inadequate compared to the empeg (no surprise there). Examples: No easy "unshuffle around the currently playing song", no hierarchical playlists, no "ignore as child", no inserting songs or albums into the current running order. Though I'm working around the former (unshuffle around current song) with an app called "Vox" which seems to handle that if I jump through the correct hoops.
- The lack of "ignore as child" means that I can't safely mix my back-episodes of CarTalk in with my music files, otherwise I'd get cartalk episodes mixed in with my music.
- So one thing I tried was to use Copy Trans Manager to put the files onto the phone as if they were Podcasts. No go: it wouldn't do it, I can't move the CarTalk Mp3 files into the Podcasts category.
- So I tried to turn them all into AudioBooks. This works, I can do this in Copy Trans Manager, which indeed puts them into the Audio Books category on the phone, but then there's a problem: They're all out of sequence, playing out of order, even when I change all their disc/track numbers to be in order.
- So I tried using Media Monkey to change them all to the "Podcast" type (Something Copy Trans Manager refused to do), and change them to the "Podcast" genre. Then used Copy Trans Manager to load them onto the phone. Still no dice: Copy Trans Manager still refused to put them into the "Podcast" category on the phone.
- So I tried using Media Monkey to load them onto the phone. This "seemed" to work, with Media monkey giving me the option to sync the podcast files onto the phone, and the songs seeming to load.
- But now, after using Media Monkey on my phone, now Copy Trans Manager says that the itunes library on the phone is corrupted. Media Monkey thought it was fine. Itunes, I'm not sure, since I'm deliberately not using iTunes due to its "Ima erase all your shit" dialog box that I posted about earlier.
- But despite the warning that the phone got corrupted by Media Monkey, it *seems* to play the podcasts that I loaded onto the phone with Media Monkey OK in the quick test I did. And they seem to be in order, too.
So, so far, cautiously optimistic that Media Monkey solved the podcast problem, but worried it might have corrupted my library on the phone.