Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3763 - 29/02/2000 08:37 Re: MOD (was: Empeg Car Installation) [Re: Jazzwire]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
That's what I'm doing now, but I'd like to convert MODs in batches of 100. I guess I could set up a playlist in Winamp and just let it run and when it's finshed set up a batch file to encode them all, but I'd like to get them all in one run so I could start with the MOD's, run the batch file, and next morning have a couple hundred MP3's.

Isn't there a mod plugin for winamp?

#3764 - 29/02/2000 13:03 Re: Empeg Car Installation [Re: schofiel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I don't think that Prof. Fisher's proposed distribution concept will be the new paradigm.

Two things he does not address here are: a) the inherent lack of structure and thus the uncontrollability of the internet; and b) the fact that
after the initial production cost all subsequent inventory costs nothing. This leads to some interesting pricing possibilities.

Prof. Fisher's concept of some regulating body (like ASCAP or BMI does now) to oversee the distribution and pricing of digitally distributed music is unlikely given the unfettered nature of the internet, where in all probability most of the music distribution will occur. I don't envision artists or purchasers welcoming another layer of bureaucracy that can only add inconvenience and expense to what would otherwise be a straightforward transaction. If it is more advantageous for an artist to sell directly to his customers, there is no way to force him to do otherwise.

Because the costs of production and distribution are effectively zero (after the music is actually created, that is) this gives rise to fantastic
opportunities for agressive price reduction through volume. It is not unreasonable to suppose that prices for music distributed on the internet could be set so low that it is literally more cost effective to buy it than to go to the trouble of pirating it. Sort of like the unfulfilled promise of nuclear energy that "...would be too cheap to meter." Would an artist rather sell 10,000 copies of his work at $1.00 a copy, or 1,000 copies at $10 a copy? Particularly if he sells directly to the consumer with no middleman? I think he'd take the high-volume low-margin model if for no other reason than more exposure leads to more sales later on.

I guess the biggest problem involved in this kind of direct distribution is handling the bookkeeping. The first model that comes to my mind is, of course, the credit card, but there may well be other methods I am not familiar with for handling internet credit transactions.

Anyway, I think we're going to see some big changes in the music business in the very near future. Look how quickly CDs replaced vinyl
records... this shift could come just as quickly.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#3765 - 29/02/2000 17:13 Re: Changes in the music business [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It is not unreasonable to suppose that prices for music distributed on the internet could be set so low that it is literally more cost effective to buy it than to go to the trouble of pirating it.

Good point. As it stands right now, the cost of producing audio CDs En Masse is practically nil. The real costs are in marketing and distribution. If an artist distributes through the internet, that's half the equation. The other half is tough, though. The marketing engines of the record companies are heavily entrenched and it will take a while for this to shift. It'll happen, but slowly. For a while, it'll be like it is right now: you'll only see indie music and unknown artists distributed on the 'net. But one day, there will be a major announcement: a big-name artist will deliberately allow his record company contract to lapse, and will go indie so that they can distribute and market their music exclusively via the internet. Then the world will wake up to the possibility of direct artist-consumer relations and we'll see the culmination of this little revolution. All it'll take is one really big artist. Who's up for the challenge?

I guess the biggest problem involved in this kind of direct distribution is handling the bookkeeping. The first model that comes to my mind is, of course, the credit card, but there may well be other methods I am not familiar with for handling internet credit transactions.

Already there. Check out PayPal. This is one of those "Slap your forehead and say DUH" ideas that I wish I'd thought of first.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#3766 - 29/02/2000 21:29 Re: MOD (was: Empeg Car Installation) [Re: kim]
Lord Bleys

Lord Bleys' guess of it being EMF is wrong, Edge/EMF just wrote some documentation for it - as he mainly was a musician.

Doh! No cookie for me. =[

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

#3767 - 01/03/2000 21:41 Re: MOD (was: Empeg Car Installation) [Re: kim]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Well, that's an easy one - it was PSI from Future Crew. And coincidentally I also happen to know those people and quite some others also on the old demoscene days. Lord Bleys' guess of it being EMF is wrong, Edge/EMF just wrote some documentation for it - as he mainly was a musician.

*hands a big chocolate chip cookie to kim and gives Lord Bleys an E for effort*

Well, now that we got in - I also ran a highly demoscene oriented BBS called Triplex for over five years here in Finland. My BBS was running with three nodes and also was a part of CDN for some time.

I believe I actually called your board. I vaguely remember the name. Ahh the good old days when I called around various countries for the pure joy of it.

Yes, it rings a bell - probably I've read some messages that was sent on your board thru CDN. But the big internet pretty much made BBS'es not worth keeping anymore for some years ago already. But it's nice to notice the same kind of spirit in here also, where there are fairly small amount of people but which all are interested in the same kind of things.

That is more than likely... We were the CDN USHQ so all the other demo boards around the US ended up sending their mail thru us... I believe we got our feed from Starport (FC's main BBS). And yes, BBS's died because of the internet, which really grew into a place where its kind of hard to find yourself a small group of people that you can really get to know and who are interested in the same stuff you are. Kind of like the demo scene of yesteryear... But you can still find the people.. I guess when people front 1300$ for a car stereo, there is some kind of derived comradare there.. ;)

*proud to have been greeted by Abyss at the end of Future Crew's Second Reality demo*

(O|||||O)

#3768 - 02/03/2000 02:05 Re: MOD (was: Empeg Car Installation) [Re: ClemsonJeep]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
*proud to have been greeted by Abyss at the end of Future Crew's Second Reality demo*

If you're still into demos, have a decent PC with a 3D card - download 3DMark2000 and run the demo mode. It's not as demo-demo as most of the demos you've used to see, as it has a bit different target audience and much larger distribution. Anyway, you'll find some familiar elements in it :)

And yes, you'll find my name from the beginning of credits.

Kim

#3769 - 02/03/2000 21:08 Re: MOD (was: Empeg Car Installation) [Re: kim]
Lord Bleys

download 3DMark2000 and run the demo mode.

I love that demo. I keep it around to show the parental types what PCs are
-really- for.

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2