Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#37729 - 30/08/2001 21:22 covering hole
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
Don't know if anyone has seen this but I remember when people were looking for something to cover the opening when player is gone. Here's what I found looking for info on the Blaupunkt TravelPilot.

CAMOUFLAGE FACEPLATE
WORKS WITH: All receivers (except X-Line) and IDC A09
P/N: 7 608 002 476
LIST PRICE: $12.95

Features: Use to cover all receivers mounted in the dashboard. This "fake" look simply covers the existing radio face with a part that creates the appearance of the faceplate being removed.

#695- Mk2/Green/Amber/Neon Red/Clear/Smoke-12Gig hasTUNER awaits 2.x & VR

"No buyers regret"

Attachments
36726-camofauge_faceplate.jpg (90 downloads)

#37730 - 31/08/2001 10:35 Re: covering hole [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yuck, it makes it look like a removable-face stereo.

This is useless for theft prevention. I've had a removable-face stereo stolen. In fact, my first empeg Mk1 was purchased with the insurance money from that theft.

Avoid this item.

#37731 - 01/09/2001 04:18 Re: covering hole [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

I thought it could be used to cover the opening after the empeg is taken out, maybe not an excellent idea but thought I'd post it for others. If I'm in my vehicle the empeg is in the sled & when I'm not it's not, no point in me using something to cover the opening.

#695-Mk2/Lots of pretty faceplate colors-12Gig/TUNER awaiting 2.x & VR

"No buyers regret"

#37732 - 01/09/2001 04:21 Re: covering hole [Re: jwickis]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I can't see the point of such a thing. The whole point of the opening the Empeg leaves after it's removed it to give possible burgulars the message : "Hey, nothing to steal here, so don't bother breaking my windows or forcing my locks".
That's IMHO of course.

#37733 - 01/09/2001 04:29 Re: covering hole [Re: BartDG]
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Trouble is, they'll still break in to check if the unit is in the glove box or under the seats. What's needed is some cut wires hanging out to make it look like a unit has already been stolen and a new one hasn't been fitted yet.

Steve - 18GB Mk II Sssmokey

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons

#37734 - 01/09/2001 05:09 Re: covering hole [Re: jwickis]
jwickis
addict

OK bad idea nevermind, I'll go sit in the corner now.

#695-Mk2/Many pretty faceplate colors-12Gig/TUNER-anxiously awaits v2.x & VR

"No buyers regret"

#37735 - 01/09/2001 08:42 Re: covering hole [Re: srhodes]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
I had this *exact* thing happen to me.

Empeg mk1 in my old (naff) polo. Broke in to find out if I'd put it in glovebox/under seat. Nicked my amp tho, the [censored]s.

Bought a blank faceplate and they *never* broke back into the car. (It looked like there was NO stereo in the car - wouldn't work on expensive cars).

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

#37736 - 01/09/2001 11:32 Re: covering hole [Re: phaigh]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Bought a blank faceplate and they *never* broke back into the car. (It looked like there was NO stereo in the car - wouldn't work on expensive cars).

This is what I did. I located the original Honda part for the blank plastic DIN-sized faceplate. It's the piece they put on Hondas which are sold without radios. It even has the Honda logo on it, so it looks genuine.

When I pull the empeg out of the dash, I usually just leave the hole. But when I park the car in a high-risk situation, I cover the hole with the Honda blank plate. Since all other stereo equipment is hidden in the trunk or under the factory grilles, it looks like the car has no stereo installed. Nothing to steal, not a target.

I still take the Empeg with me, though. I've been stung by two thefts already, I no longer take chances.

#37737 - 01/09/2001 11:49 Re: covering hole [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
When I pull the empeg out of the dash, I usually just leave the hole. But when I park the car in a high-risk situation, I cover the hole with the Honda blank plate. Since all other stereo equipment is hidden in the trunk or under the factory grilles, it looks like the car has no stereo installed. Nothing to steal, not a target.

Hey, that's not a bad idea!
Erm...no, I guess it wouldn't work for me after all. I'm pretty sure it would look stupid when the two speakers built in my back shelf would get noticed.

#37738 - 01/09/2001 11:51 Re: covering hole [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, stealth is an important part of my installation.

#37739 - 01/09/2001 16:23 Re: covering hole [Re: jwickis]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Here's the 1st of 2 pics of my feeble attempts to deal with the gaping maw of an empty sled. I make a lot of trips under 15-30 minutes and don't haul the Empeg to the car for those, so I have a separate head unit and wanted something to fill the sled both during those times and overnight.

This box was made with some black ABS sheet I got from Crutchfield using a jeweler's saw and liberal amounts of cyanoacrylate glue I obtained at a hobby store. It may look less ugly when I relocate the Empeg sled to the upper position later this year (Subaru trim pieces are back-ordered.). If Rio would find it in their hearts to produce a more professional, vacuum-formed version of this, I'd buy it!

As for the removable faceplate fakery, who knows? It is true that thieves will break into some cars in search of the faceplate in the (correct) belief that some folks have simply stashed theirs under the seat, in the glove box, et cetera. On the other hand, I have had removable faceplate units for ~8 years (and actually take the faceplate inside) and have not yet had anybody trash the car. When somebody does, I suppose I can have some small satisfaction that they stole a faceplate-less, coded radio (not that there isn't a cottage industry in operation somewhere in LA resurrecting such units!). But, does this mean I'm more or less vulnerable? I don't know the statistics on this. I have only a sample size of 1. I suppose I really should build an "already been ripped off" insert with lots of wires hanging out of it, but that would really only work if the Empeg was the only head unit. Plus, I'm too lazy and it offends my aesthetic sensibilities!

Jim

Attachments
36942-Box1.jpg (84 downloads)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#37740 - 01/09/2001 16:38 Re: covering hole [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Pic #2. I generally put this in the carry case and stash it under the seat.

Jim

Attachments
36946-Box2.jpg (91 downloads)

#37741 - 01/09/2001 21:54 Re: covering hole [Re: tfabris]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
?!? Your license plate doesn't exactly scream stealth here....

#37742 - 02/09/2001 10:15 Re: covering hole [Re: time]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Heh, true, true.

Of course, the name "empeg" isn't very widely known. At least not as much as Sony or Kenwood. And since the SonicBlue purchase, it's not going to become much more widely known than it already is.

#37743 - 03/09/2001 04:28 Re: covering hole [Re: jimhogan]
Dava

Loc: Bucks UK
Hi Jim,

I have just ordered an Impreza WRX and am curious as to whether you had to "trim" the silver bit around the DIN slot to get the empeg in? It looked like it wouln't fit when I eyed it up during the testdrive.

I am thinking about not using the DIN slots for the empeg but putting a screen in there instead (it would seem to fit perfectly without cutting).

In this case I would remove the ashtray and trim a bit, does there look like enough depth for the sled?

MK2 Red S/n 949

#37744 - 03/09/2001 10:35 Re: covering hole [Re: Dava]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yes, as I recall, he did have to do some trimming. Do a BBS search on "WRX" for details.

#37745 - 04/09/2001 09:09 Re: covering hole [Re: Dava]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Dava,

I doubt that the Empeg would fit in the ashtray spot due impingement by ECU below and heater controls above. If you do use DIN slot, then you have choice of 1) Empeg alone or 2) Empeg with another single-DIN head unit. Either way you must cut that ($85) silver bezel for the Empeg sled. If option 1, Crutchfield or installer.com can sell you a simple black plastic single-DIN pocket to fill the void (it may say Toyota or Nissan).

Per Tony's note, you may have found other more detailed WRX posts here. Also, take a look under forums on i-club.com. If you search for Rio Car / Empeg, you should find some pics of a professionally-done Empeg install (with a Nakamichi head unit). I'll eventually redo my install like this (Empeg on top).

Remember: Coffee and Dremels don't mix!

Jim

#37746 - 04/09/2001 09:18 Re: covering hole [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

#37747 - 04/09/2001 09:28 Re: covering hole [Re: tfabris]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
And here's the install pr0n.

Enjoy.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

#37748 - 04/09/2001 09:42 Re: covering hole [Re: phaigh]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, cool. That's what I was talking about in the WRX thread... having the empeg on top and the aftermarket stereo down below. The install looks really nice that way.

#37749 - 04/09/2001 10:03 Re: covering hole [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
It is too bad that the person on i-club didn't post pics with the empeg pulled out...

I will be attempting to install my empeg in the WRX (a week old) this weekend along with a RS amp in the trunk and Infinity Reference speakers in the doors....

On tips on the dremeling? Just trial and error? Or can you measure it out (i.e. 1/4" cuts on both sides)?

Also, any tips on replacing the factory tweeter? (I bought components for the front door with 1" tweeters).

32GB (JUST UPGRADED!) Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#37750 - 04/09/2001 10:46 Re: covering hole (WRX tangent) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Hey! Congratulations. How many miles to end of break-in? Are you having fun?

Tips on Dremeling? Well, what I did was cover the entire face of the bezel with that blue "not so sticky" masking tape (I had a bunch of the 2" wide variety on the boat) to try to avoid scratches. I then marked the planned cutting on the masking tape with a ball-point pen. Then I clamped a metal ruler to the bezel using a pair of small "quick-grip" woodworking clamps and used the ruler as a guide/"preventer" for the Dremel as I gradually cut into the bezel (basically rested the shaft of the cutter against the ruler). This took multiple passes and adjustments of the ruler. I used a jeweler's saw to finish a few of the edges and the corners. This all took about 6 hours and left of ton of black plastic debris to vacuum up. Take your time. If anyone has any better ideas, I'd appreciate input for next time.

Also, if you remove the 4 nylon clips from the bezel, it will be a lot easier to remove during test fittings. As I've said, next time I will do this so that I can insert/secure the sled *after* the bezel goes on.

Tweeters/speakers?: I was able to recycle the angled brackets from the OEM tweeters and screw them into the plastic casing of the new RF tweeters; I also used a piece of double-sided foam tape for insurance. I cut an adapter ring out of 1/2" MDF to adapt the RF woofers to the odd 3-screw Subaru mounting. It looked like there could even be room behind the door panel for 3/4"-1" MDF if your speakers need it.

Well, I took the Rex across the pass to a friend's cabin in Cle Elum, WA over the holiday weekend, and the trip (a mix of highway, curly county roads, gravel private roads in both sun and rain) just added to my love affair with this car.

Measure six times, cut once.

Jim

#37751 - 04/09/2001 12:39 Addendum: Re: covering hole (WRX tangent) [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

For Sport Driver, one other tidbit:

Before I started with the Dremel, I used an Xacto knife with the straightedge to score the silver paint along the pen lines to reduce the chance of paint chipping along the cuts. I also thought of using a coping saw to do all of this -- less messy -- but wasn't sure if I could keep it straight enough.

Jim