Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3876 - 05/04/2000 18:25 Alternator Whine and what fixed it... why?!
soul
new poster

Loc: West Australia
Hi,

I got my Toyota MR2 (1990) back from a stereo installer a couple days ago. Unfortunately I was plagued by dreaded alternator whine. It had been reduced significantly by installing the floating ground connectors that came with the empeg unit. I wasn't too worried as I had organized to take the car back to get it looked over again later this week.

Anyways, I did that. The installers said they spent a good 6 hours trying to get rid of the last remaining (and rather annoying) alternator whine. Eventually they gave up after trying "everything" they could think of, including a bunch of tips I dug up for them from these forums. They couldn't get to the alternator to put a cap on it so they blamed this and told me to go see an autoelectrician.

Not phased and pretty eager to play (read break ;) my brand new system I ripped most of the dash apart last night. I actually managed to solve the problem but I don't understand why!

The two "floating" ground terminals had been wired onto a convenient point on the chasis. With both of the connectors grounded I could hear enough whining for it to be "VERY ANNOYING". With only ONE connector grounded the sound has almost disappeared. (Its only there because I think its there... anyone else would have trouble picking it if they hadn't heard it before.)

What I don't get is why does grounding only one lead remove nearly all whining, yet grounding both leads induces it? I tried grounding these wires directly to the amp earth with exactly the same effect.

Does this make sense to anyone? Are there any ill effects of grounding only one of the grounding wires?

-jan

#3877 - 06/04/2000 19:36 Re: Alternator Whine and what fixed it... why?! [Re: soul]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
What I don't get is why does grounding only one lead remove nearly all whining, yet grounding both leads induces it? I tried grounding these wires directly to the amp earth with exactly the same effect.

It could be that connecting the TWO ground leads re-sets the ground loop between the F/B & alternator, only one connection provides the 'reference grounding' of the amps and empeg to 0V.

BTW good to hear another Australian customer. next time you're on the east drop me a line

-- Murray
Empeg changed my life and it did happen overnight.

#3878 - 07/04/2000 22:30 Re: Alternator Whine and what fixed it... why?! [Re: soul]
Lord Bleys

Soul,
Send me some mail ([email protected]). I have some questions about your install (dealing with mounting locations, cooling, power, etc) that may assist me with mine; I have a 1993 MR2 Turbo and am doing all installation work, myself.

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca