Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4018 - 04/05/2000 08:10 Re: UPDATE.... [Re: PaulWay]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
got my fingers crossed

does this mean this might make it into Empeg Mark2? a wirless module?

it doesnt get much better than this

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com

#4019 - 04/05/2000 08:15 Probably too late.... [Re: JeepBastard]
Jambo
stranger

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama USA
Probably too late for a hardware change at this point, but I could see it being offered as an add-on or something to that effect.

Rob already mentioned that they were messing around with Airport as a solution, however, besides one of the e-mails below, I can't find any non-Mac related Airport info.

Something like #14000 (give or take a few)

#4020 - 04/05/2000 12:59 Re: UPDATE.... [Re: JeepBastard]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
No extra empeg hardware is needed - we put ethernet on the player to open up a huge scope of networking possibilities. Wireless synchronisation is already running on a standard Mark 2 using an Airport bridge in the car and a WaveLan card in a PC. The range is pretty good, the data rate is as fast as USB, and it rocks!

Wireless ethernet bridges are already available from multiple manufacturers, and their popularity is increasing such that they'll be a cheap consumer commodity before long.

The best bit is that, in most cases, no extra software will be needed on the empeg. Our standard ethernet sync routines work with an out-of-the-box Airport bridge.

Regards

Rob

#4021 - 04/05/2000 14:02 Re: UPDATE.... [Re: rob]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Rob wrote:

we put ethernet on the player to open up a huge scope of networking possibilities.

One factor here is that the ethernet connector isn't dockable. But it can be. By shaving the locking clip on the cable connector off, and positioning it precisely and holding it firm in the empeg docking chassis, AFAICS it can be dockable with no trouble.

Which links to the idea of separate components (e.g. extra hard-drives) being on some sort of network. A fair few people have ethernet networks in their home, but how many people have one in their car?!

Could solve a lot of problems for third-party manufacturers.

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#4022 - 04/05/2000 14:16 Re: Can someone explain how the Ethernet will work? [Re: jfranke]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
No, we can't run ethernet over the dock for a number of reasons, including connector capacity, EMC and 10BaseT specifications.

It's not much hassle to plug in an RJ45 connector to the player by hand, though, and there's a corresponding cut out in the cage to allow this. If you're using wireless networking you probably won't remove the player from the car too often anyway, otherwise, what's the point?

Rob

#4023 - 04/05/2000 15:46 Re: UPDATE.... [Re: rob]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I've been talking to them, yes. Things are moving along...

:)

Hugo

#4024 - 04/05/2000 15:48 Re: So, lets figure out how to make this wireless.... [Re: eternalsun]
altman
carpal tunnel

I don't get into the car, I leave the empeg on (standby) then in the office I fire up my laptop and open emplode... which finds the empeg even though it's at the other end of an 802.11 link. Sync is indistinguishable from USB, but it's a bit quicker.

Hugo

#4025 - 04/05/2000 15:50 Re: So, lets figure out how to make this wireless.... [Re: PaulWay]
altman
carpal tunnel

Bluetooth isn't there yet in terms of availability of actual modules. It's also a lot slower than 802.11 and has worse range (generally) - the advantage comes when you use it to talk to 3G cellphones with high bandwidth net feeds...

When they're available, we'll do stuff with them, you can be sure of that...

Hugo

#4026 - 04/05/2000 17:49 Re: UPDATE.... [Re: PaulWay]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
so what's the story for us jumping in on this thread?

Will you be able to have the airport wireless bridge on the empeg while it is in the car?

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com

#4027 - 05/05/2000 02:00 Re: So, lets figure out how to make this wireless.... [Re: altman]
jonski
new poster

Loc: New Zealand
It's not a case of ethernet not being very safe, it's a case of it not being Intrinsically Safe. This is a technical term, and describes the failsafe protections built into the hardware layer.

To achieve Intrinsic Safety, an engineer needs to consider things like maximum voltage and current (power) and things like current and voltage clamping in short and open circuit situations, EMF fields, things like the physical separation between cabling, restraining methods, all sorts of other things.

It has been a while since I worked in this area so I don't remember what the specifics are, but it's still quite simple: Ethernet is not intrinsically safe. Operating it near petroleum vapours is operating it in an explosive environment. (IIRC, "Class One Zone One"- to get any more dangerous, you're designing for things that are immersed in the stuff).

Installing ethernet near your filler cap may not be enough to immediately cause an explosion. However, it may be enough to be a contributing factor. And you don't know, because you don't know what the specs are. Just think what might happen if you've got ethernet installed, it's a hot day, you've got half a tank of gas, you are connecting the cable and then your mobile phone on your hip rings. Think about it now, because you won't be doing much more thinking if bits of you are sailing through the air in different directions...

Perhaps I'm just funny this way. But I'm not willing to take the chance.

Cheers
Jon

PS If anyone *does* decide to do this, can they please remove their empeg first and bequeath it to me in their will? You'll never know you're missing it ;-)

#4028 - 05/05/2000 04:18 Re: So, lets figure out how to make this wireless.... [Re: jonski]
Alexander

Loc: SF Bay Area
Just out of curiosity here, have there been any documented cases of any kind where a piece of minimal-heat-producing consumer electronic equipment caused gasoline fumes to ignite/explode?

I agree that it's theoretically possible, but sometimes there's a big difference between theory and practice.

Alex

#4029 - 05/05/2000 06:00 Re: So, lets figure out how to make this wireless.... [Re: altman]
Lord Bleys

Hugo,
Perhaps when things calm down and the Mark2 is nearly out you could post a HOWTO type document detailing what hardware was needed, what modifications you recommend (for ease of insertion of ethernet modplug into Mark2 port), etc.

Could be a good FAQ topic for schofiel given the interest this thread has sparked in such a short timeframe...

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

#4030 - 05/05/2000 06:23 Re: So, lets figure out how to make this wireless.... [Re: Lord Bleys]
altman
carpal tunnel

I suspect we'll be offering a package of 802.11 wireless hardware to go with your empeg, but we'll do a howto aswell :)

Hugo

#4031 - 05/05/2000 08:30 Glad to hear it [Re: altman]
Jambo
stranger

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama USA
Glad to hear that you're in touch. I hope that they can get the price to something reasonable enough to make it practical.

(Gee, maybe the sales rep. would be nice enough to send me a pair as a 'referral fee' if you all work something out with them. :-) )

Something like #14000 (give or take a few)

#4032 - 07/05/2000 03:56 Re: So, lets figure out how to make this wireless.... [Re: Alexander]
jonski
new poster

Loc: New Zealand
I don't know the number, but it's more than one. Remember though, we're not talking heat here. There are other ways of starting a chemical reaction, including vibration and electrical and magnetic fields (eg nitroglycerine). There is a reason that cellphones are not allowed on service station forecourts- they can dissipate up to five watts through the aerial (though it's usually much less) and that gets radiated into the surrounding air, which contains a near-perfect air/fuel vapour mix.

Anyway, we're getting way off topic here, and I think I've made the point I set out to...

Cheers
Jon

#4033 - 07/05/2000 04:22 Re: So, lets figure out how to make this wireless.... [Re: Alexander]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
have there been any documented cases

I don't know of any disasters, but the warning is well taken.
In Finland, for example, WAP tests from oil companies at service stations have been suspended, because of the risks of using cell phones on forecourts. As said elsewhere, it's not heat that may ignite the vapour mixture, but merely energizing the mixture.

Henno
# 00120

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2