Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4081 - 02/05/2000 15:33 BAD! error bessage on boot?
drakino
carpal tunnel

I have a few more things to try before e-mailing support about my empeg's display turning on, but I figured I'd ask what the error of "BAD!" on bootup means. Right now, my empeg boots fine, but the display never turns on. The LED stays in it's pulsating mode while music plays, and all controls work. I grabbed my laptop and hooked up the serial port, and on boot, the empeg gets to:

[start of bootup messages]
empeg display ...
empeg audio...
BAD!
BAD!
[rest of bootup messages]

My empeg also displays a custom logo on startup via the code off the developer site, and that program will also try to turn on the display if it's off, but it fails as well. (I couldn't stand getting rid of the empeg logo :-)

I have a few other things to try later when I get home, but was wondering what that BAD! message ment.

My empeg site is:http://24.236.3.131/empeg/

#4082 - 04/05/2000 00:33 Re: BAD! error bessage on boot? [Re: drakino]
Lord Bleys

Sounds like your display board croaked. This has happened to me; the unit was fully functional but the only thing on the display was the pulsing light -- no other display features functioned even though I could control the unit by navigating the menus from memory (using either the button cluster or the remote).

Support should take care of you quickly and efficiently.

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

#4083 - 04/05/2000 01:18 Re: BAD! error bessage on boot? [Re: Lord Bleys]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The weird thing is, it happened when I turned the car key from accessory to start the car. It's display worked fine, then this happened when it rebooted. Reflashing the newest kernel or the 10a updates did nothing. So I am guessing it's hardware. I e-mailed support yesterday, and got a response back saying someone will be in touch soon. I am glad I never opened the case yet to do anything, since I'm rather poor right now to be paying for service.

My empeg site is:http://24.236.3.131/empeg/

#4084 - 04/05/2000 15:18 Re: BAD! error bessage on boot? [Re: drakino]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The BAD! message is unrelated to the hardware fault - this is just a debug message from the FIQ IR driver (the interim fix you applied). There are still bugs in the FIQ driver which cause it to ignore buttons sometimes - we're working on these and there will be another interim release when it's all sorted.

Hugo