Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#42039 - 17/10/2001 15:35 Emplode oddity
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Noticed this... I select a bunch of tracks and change a field, (in my case genre.) It takes a decent amount of time to do them all... The tracks are now updated. I hit OK and it seems to do it a second time. Shouldn't "Apply" make the OK button just close the dialog if you haven't added any other changes to other fields?

Not a huge issue, I'll just click OK instead of Apply first... Just wanted to note this one.

-Tony
MkII #554

#42040 - 17/10/2001 15:37 Re: Emplode oddity [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey, it's better than the OK button doing nothing in all cases. Which would you prefer?

#42041 - 19/10/2001 06:30 Re: Emplode oddity [Re: tfabris]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi Tonys, especially tfabris:

I don't know why only these two alternatives should exist. The function that is called after the activation (click/return/spacebar) of the OK button could just check if there are any changes pending, and skip doing anything besides closing the dialog.
This is how those functions work in my programs. To do this, you need to keep track of changed fields during the edit, and set an appropriate flag (and reset it upon "Apply" activation). This is a tradeoff issue: If applying the change is cheap (in terms of time), skip that flag, and just do the apply (again) on each activation of the OK button. If it is expensive, make sure you use such a flag (correctly).

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

#42042 - 19/10/2001 06:37 Re: Emplode oddity [Re: smu]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I think tfabris was joking, and is well aware of how Apply and OK should work, and do work in other apps. What you're suggesting is exactly what I was getting at when I said "shouldn't Apply make the OK button close the dialog if you haven't made changes." You just found a much clearer way to say it than I did. :)

-Tony
MkII #554