Now that I finally got a head unit with input connectors, I was able to install my empeg (amber display, 4GB) to my car last weekend.
Let me first say that I think the empeg and my '84 Citroen CX Break are a perfect match - and that's not only because these old Ciroens had the smoothest suspension of all European cars which should be very hard-disk friendly...;-). Both the CX and the empeg are unique in their way, and different from all the others. The CX, for example, has a very futuristic dashboard design (regrettably changed in 1985 to something more conventional), one-spoke steering wheel, a hydropneumatic suspension, hydraulic steering and brakes that both can be operated with minimal effort, and lots of other goodies not found in other cars. The design of the body was years ahead of its time (the CX originally debuted in 1975!). For the interested, more information (and some pictures) on the CX is available here: http://www.citroencarclub.org.uk/ccc-cx.htm .

Well, I don't think I have to explain to you why I think the empeg is unique...;-)

The installation itself went smooth... the head unit I have now is a Kenwood KVC-1000, basically a touch-screen display with TV tuner built into it. The empeg connects to one ot the AV inputs (and, as the Video RCA jack is still unused, I'm really tempted to add a camera directed at the empeg's display... :-)). As the Kenwood takes up the only available DIN slot, I mounted the empeg to a small pocket/case where all the little bits and pieces you need while driving were meant to be kept. It was just a little bigger than a DIN slot - I will have to get a decent face panel for it, but the empeg fitted perfectly. The only problem was sliding the empeg into its cage (I never tried that before). It was a simple case of "user too stupid error", but it took me some time to figure out that you have to lift the empeg's handle while sliding it in... :-\
I used the provided RCA cable and grounded them on the Kenwood side, but I forgot to install the power line suppressor. However, the system doesn't pick up any noise. Granted, I may have an unfair advantage here - the car is a Diesel, and as such doesn't have an ignition system that could emit radiation...

Some problems are still unsolved: the empeg is mounted in such an angle that the side window mirrors, making it hard to read on sunny days. Also, I have to hold the remote close to the empeg so that the Kenwood head unit will not react. And, most important, the user interface still needs too much of my attention - the planned speech output becomes important for me here! Apart from that, I'm really happy with this combination of an extraordinary unit with an extraordinary car! And the empeg display color matches the car's controls almost perfectly...

Two final notes: the empeg cannot be fitted to a CX from '86 onwards (Series II), because the two DIN slots are located vertically(!) between the front seats. And, if anybody wants to have a look at the installation, mail me! I'm in Munich, Germany.

Daniel