Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5340 - 24/11/1999 07:12 Another New Amp - What do I do?
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Hi all,

I got my empeg installed two weeks ago (Good job Dominic!).

However, some little git broke into my car last night and (after causing a lot of damage) stole my audio amp, although they didn't get the Empeg (phew!).

Unsurprisingly all of the insurance companies are uninterested, so it's left to me to buy and install a replacement.

I got a Kicker IX402, so I'm going to replace it with the same one, since the thief was kind enough to leave the wires in the same places and gently uncrewed it from the boot.

So, my question is this: what do I have to do when I get the new amp? I can install/wire it up, but do I have to play with amplifier gains or whatnot? I'm a complete car audio novice, but I love tech and am willing to learn....

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Paul Haigh.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254

#5341 - 25/11/1999 12:34 Re: Another New Amp - What do I do? [Re: phaigh]
Cambscar
journeyman

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about the theft - I know just bad it feels, having had the same thing happen to my own car on a couple of occasions before now. I can't quite work out whether you've got a new amp as yet or not, but if you haven't, give Alex at our place a call (01223 368989). We've not got a 402 in stock right now, but we can get one shipped out from the distributors direct to your door.

Either way, once you get a replacement, start off by making sure the fuse is removed in the engine bay - it's quite far back towards the bulkhead, just trace the power cable and you'll find it OK. Connect all the cabling up, and set the amp gain, treble and bass controls to minimum. Refit the fuse and fire the system up to make sure it all works OK. Then, find a reasonably bassy MP3, and set the volume on the Empeg to 0dB. Gradually increase the amp gain to the point where you can just hear the front speakers start to distort, then back it off just a shade. The bass and treble controls you can just set by ear, listening to a few tracks and setting them where you think the system sounds best - just avoid increasing their levels too much, as they do tend to increase the tendancy to distort.

Any problems at any stage, just give me a shout.
Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio
http://www.cambscaraudio.co.uk