Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5358 - 12/12/1999 04:37 Talon/Eclipse/Laser/DSM Install
Mark Miller
journeyman

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Greetings, I wanted to report that the Empeg fits in these first generation (89-94) Diamond Star Motors AWD models: Eagle Talon Tsi, Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, and the Plymouth Laser RS. Minor modifications are required to the front trim piece. The vehicles have room for the Empeg in the top slot and another head unit in the bottom. I used a Sony automatic switcher box to select either the Empeg (if present) or my Kenwood tuner/CD player (default.) This switcher uses the amp turn on outputs from both units to select the audio to the remote amp.

Regards, Mark

--> Get paid to surf the web! http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=CCI498

#5359 - 13/12/1999 04:19 Re: Talon/Eclipse/Laser/DSM Install [Re: Mark Miller]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Can you describe the switcher you used? DO you have a Sony part number?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#5360 - 13/12/1999 14:44 Re: Talon/Eclipse/Laser/DSM Install [Re: schofiel]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
...I've got one of these switches for sale if anyone wants it; I didn't bother to hook it up when I got the empeg; I'll try to dig up the part number when I get home

-mark

#5361 - 21/12/1999 23:33 Re: Talon/Eclipse/Laser/DSM Install [Re: schofiel]
Mark Miller
journeyman

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
It is a metal box the size of your fist that has two sets of 4 RCA female chassis input connectors and 1 set of 4 RCA female outputs. It needs to be connected to the "amp on" or "antenna up" trigger outputs from both head units.
I set my CD/Tuner head as the primary so if the empeg is not in the car it just defaults to the CD player/tuner. It is made by Sony but I do not have the part number sorry. However, I believe www.crutchfield.com carries the device (you might have to call or write them) for US $49.00. I paid almost twice that, as a captive customer in a high-end audio shop ;)

Of course you'll also need high-quality metal double male RCA barrel connectors to connect the empeg's female outputs to the switch relay's female inputs. These were difficult to locate. I found them at a Radio Shack retail store. (4 for US$17.00)

Works great, just a minor pop when switching heads which may be a feature of my JBL amp.

Regards,
Mark Miller 20 Gig Green