Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5409 - 04/03/2000 04:18 1998 Honda Accord questions
Ben Jackson
new poster

My '98 Honda Accord has a DIN sized (?) slot beneath the head unit which is used if you get an optional in-dash CD player (I have the "genuine" changer in the center console). I'm sure the head unit supports some kind of external inputs (it's driving the changer, after all) but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me specifically if an empeg could coexist in this setup with a minimum of hackery.

Has anyone tried an install in a late 90's Accord? I'm reluctant to give up the head unit because it's pretty thoroughly integrated into the car (it does the keyless entry, dome light and obviously the cd changer -- if you replace it you end up hiding it in the dash somewhere for the dome light/keyless part).

I haven't bought an empeg yet, just thinking about it. If I had one, I'd already have my dash torn apart! Just hoping someone has been in there already to tell me what I'd find.

Thanks,
--Ben

#5410 - 07/03/2000 08:19 Re: 1998 Honda Accord questions [Re: Ben Jackson]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
I don't know much about Honda's, but typically, there's a bundle of wires with a proprietary connector into the back of the head unit coming from the changer that has controls (HU ->Changer) and sound (Changer -> HU). The audio wires (4, or 3 if they share a ground) should be either 1 or 4 Volts, meaning you can wire the Empeg between the Changer and head unit with minimal hacking. You just need to know the wiring scheme. Any installer worth his weight in cable ties should have a diagram, or you can get the technical manual for your Accord. Read the many posts about wiring a changer/Empeg/head unit combination for more details.
If you're lucky (again, I know nothing about Hondas' stereos), the head unit has RCA inputs from the changer, but I doubt it.
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#5411 - 07/03/2000 21:22 Re: 1998 Honda Accord questions [Re: Ben Jackson]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
If you want to know the physical dimensions of the player, goto the empeg web site under specs. Ive seen the extra slot, and it looks awful small to me, but I havent been out there with a tape measure to make sure it would fit.

Term

#5412 - 12/03/2000 19:45 Re: 1998 Honda Accord questions [Re: Ben Jackson]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
hey; I've got the empeg and a sony cd-player in my '99 accord.
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units