Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56523 - 08/01/2002 11:40 mercedes steering wheel remote
f_devocht

Loc: Belgium
I'd like to connect the empeg (although I haven't received it yet, ahum) to the steering wheel controls.
Anyone know the specifics of these?

Frank

#56524 - 08/01/2002 12:02 Re: mercedes steering wheel remote [Re: f_devocht]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Check if there's an aftermarket module to convert them to Sony stalk style interface, if so then just plug the output of that unit to the tuner module.

If not you'll either
* have to build a circuit to do some translation, probably to serial (and have it pipe the commands into the serial connector), normally a PIC one chip computer. This would also work if you don't have a tuner module.
* if the buttons are plain swithes and you can get to them, hook them up to a resistor grid and connect that to the tuner module (emulating a Sony stalk controls values) Requires a tuner module.
* something like the above but sending the values to an IR-transmitter that send remote control commands. Doesn't require a tuner, and keeps the serial port free for other things.

Probably not an exhaustive answer...

/Michael

#56525 - 08/01/2002 12:15 Re: mercedes steering wheel remote [Re: f_devocht]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
An illustrated FAQ entry on this subject can be found here.

#56526 - 08/01/2002 15:00 Re: mercedes steering wheel remote [Re: mtempsch]
f_devocht

the problem is that the buttons are multifunctional, they're also used for things like the phone, mileage, odo, clock settings and such. My guess is that they are not directly linked to the headunit but that there's a ecu inbetween somewhere.
I'll take the headunit out and see if I can find a signal on its wires.

ta
Frank

#56527 - 11/01/2002 10:19 Re: mercedes steering wheel remote [Re: f_devocht]
synergy
enthusiast

The problem is that the buttons are multifunctional, they're also used for things like the phone, mileage, odo, clock settings and such. My guess is that they are not directly linked to the headunit but that there's a ecu inbetween somewhere.
I'll take the headunit out and see if I can find a signal on its wires.

You didn't specify model and year, But I've got a feeling that you are out of luck.

Recently (depending on the year and model) Mercedes moved to a fiber optic system for their electronics. There aren't any aftermarket adapters for it out there yet.

In my '02 230K, the head unit itself has power and optical inputs. That's it. The head unit plugs into Mercedes custom d2b optical ring and the amp for the speakers plugs in there as well. The CD changer plugs into the same ring, as well as the phone ($1800) option. All of the controls link in, with the multifuntion display. It's not going to be a simple tap in.

It's tough enough cookie, that I'm putting mine in via FM modulation until an adapter becomes available.

#56528 - 12/01/2002 18:39 Re: mercedes steering wheel remote [Re: synergy]
f_devocht

Ah yes, sorry about that. It's a 2000 E class.
The headunit has indeed a fiber option connection for the CD changer. It has - like yours - only power and the optical input (which isn't used on mine since I don't have the changer). The controls to the steering wheel and display go over 2 wires only. Unfortunately, the illumination, ign sense and phone mute go over these same 2 wires. So this means that if I want to install the empeg, that I would need to run new wires for illumination and ign sense. I was hoping I could at least find an adapter for those. I don't mind about the display and the steering wheel controls really. I just don't want to start running new wires.
What bugs me too is that the Bose amp uses to speaker outputs of the headunit as input (hi-level) and not a pre-out. This means that I cannot connect the empeg to the Bose amp either. It needs hi-level. So if I want to keep the Bose, I would need to install an amp between empeg and Bose amp ... Sjees ...
Of course, I could dump the Bose but than I loose the subwoofer

#56529 - 18/07/2004 14:20 Re: mercedes steering wheel remote [Re: f_devocht]
rowitech
enthusiast

Loc: Germany, Cologne
This thread is some years old. Maybe there was some time for creating or finding an adaptor for the d2b optical bus in the Mercedes cars.

Rolf