Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#57693 - 10/01/2002 17:39 Cooling?
acurasquirrel

Loc: Georgia
Ill be installing my new empeg on top of a kenwood headunit seeing is how there will be alot of built up heat would I need a fan or anything?

#57694 - 10/01/2002 19:39 Re: Cooling? [Re: acurasquirrel]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I have mine over a clarion the heat hasn't been a problem and I didn't really notice anything unusual until I went on a 7 hour drive when I got to my destination I pulled out the empeg and it was scorching as was the clarion. I would very rarely drive for that long so I'm not going to worry about it.

although I have been considering taking out the clarion and just installing the empeg tuner because I just think it's too ugly

Matt

#57695 - 11/01/2002 03:46 Re: Cooling? [Re: msaeger]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
A related question to guys @empeg: why is docking sled covering (presumably ventilation) holes at the back of the unit? Shouldn't there be corresponding holes on the sled, too?
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#57696 - 11/01/2002 05:35 Re: Cooling? [Re: bonzi]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

If you are going to use external amps it shouldn't build up much heat should it ?

The Kenwood will be turned off most of the time once you get the Empeg anyway ..

#57697 - 11/01/2002 10:07 Re: Cooling? [Re: acurasquirrel]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

No specific answer for you, just an observation: my MkII would get quite hot, particularly on the bottom, after being used at home, plugged into the wall. My new MkIIa seems to be just fine (which is good, as it's plugged in all the time and hooked to my home stereo).

What's the difference? Well, my MkII has two drives, where the MkIIa has one. This causes the IDE cable to be pushed up against the top of the MkII, leaving less room for air to flow out the top airholes.

In-car, of course, is a completely different ballgame...

#57698 - 11/01/2002 13:41 Re: Cooling? [Re: DWallach]
acurasquirrel

Loc: Georgia
Well I plan to run my empeg through my kenwood and then out to my amp. I want to do this because The receiver has front, rear and sub outputs. Also my receiver has a remote do you know if since both remotes will be kenwood will this end up being an issue?

#57699 - 11/01/2002 13:45 Re: Cooling? [Re: acurasquirrel]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Having a Kenwood receiver will be an issue if you are running an empeg (and not a RioCar) but there are some sollutions...

I run my 2 RCA's to a 4 channel-amp. I connect my sub to my 4-channels amp's "pass through" RCA connections. I don't really see why you would need the other receiver. The EQ on the empeg rocks... shame to waste it.

#57700 - 11/01/2002 13:52 Re: Cooling? [Re: acurasquirrel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Also my receiver has a remote do you know if since both remotes will be kenwood will this end up being an issue?

Both remotes will not be Kenwood. The new player will use a new Rio remote with its own code set.

HOWEVER...

Because the old Kenwood remote is still supported, the new player will respond do the Kenwood commands. So there is an option in newer versions of Emplode and the player software that allow you to disable the Kenwood remote. That allows you to use both remotes without confusing the other player. This option is found in the "configure player" dialog box in Emplode.

I think versions 1.03 and later are the ones that will allow you to disable the Kenwood remote. Make sure to install 1.03 when you first get your player and use that for a while. It's the last solid non-beta release.

I want to do this because The receiver has front, rear and sub outputs.

Even though the Rio Car doesn't have a separate Sub output, you can still connect fronts, rears, and a sub pretty much right to it. You'll just lose either fader control or separate sub level control, but if that's OK with you (it was with me), then you should be fine. There are also other ways to wire up subs to have separate level controls if it's really important to you.

(I'm considering writing a FAQ item on this one with illustations. Anyone think that would be useful?)

#57701 - 11/01/2002 13:59 Re: Cooling? [Re: tfabris]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
The concepts do seem capable of confusing people who haven't played much with amps before, so it is probably useful...

/Michael

#57702 - 11/01/2002 15:51 Re: Cooling? [Re: tfabris]
papinist

Loc: Italy
I think is useful if you write a small FAQ paragraph about this: a friend of mine complaints about losing his Sub output if he change his brand new JVC stereo with the empeg (that I want to make him to buy )

#57703 - 12/01/2002 04:28 Re: Cooling? [Re: acurasquirrel]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Having installed a fan in the empeg myself, it does dramatically help cooling. Mind you the only time I've had the thing shut down is from driving in colder weather and having the heating crancked up.
If you do want to install a fan, get the quietest one you can find! I've taken mine out because of the noise.
One day(tm) I'll get around to piping air conditioning up to the unit. I may just blow it only the bottom of the unit as that's where all the heat tends to come from.

#57704 - 12/01/2002 06:59 Re: Cooling? [Re: muzza]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
You could always slow the fan down by putting a resistor in line to limit the current. I know someone else here has done this with success. I've got a thermistor and a multiturn pot in mine in an attempt to make it vary speed with temperature but it doesn't work too well. There's not enough change in resistance over the temp range for it alter the speed much (if any!). At least I can adjust the speed to a reasonably inaudible level by adjusting the pot. I think I've designed a circuit that will work, I've just got to get the components for it and try it. I'm certainly no expert in electronics so it probably won't work. Perhaps someone on the board with better electronic design skills could come up with a design that would.

#57705 - 12/01/2002 08:31 Re: Cooling? [Re: beaker]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Certain Kenwood models have the option to turn the internal amps off. Worth a try ?