Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#58354 - 13/01/2002 11:16 New Rio Car Player owner with a few questions
MichaelDavid
new poster

Loc: Virginia, USA
Hi Folks!

I sent this message to the email list, but it didn't show up here. Perhaps we can't post from email? Anyway, my apologies if this message ends up here twice.

I just ordered my Rio Car Player online, and have a few questions. I hope you all won't mind.

1) When I placed my order, the radio module was listed as "out of stock," but I ordered it anyway. Is there any hope of ever receiving that item? If not, any ideas of where I can get one?

2) I didn't see a case for the Car Player on the order site. Has anyone found a good carry case for it?

3) I am a bit concerned that the wife will forget/get tired of pulling the unit each time she stops somewhere. Has anyone come up with a good remote display and remote control device for the Car Player so that it can be trunk mounted? Or, is there some way to cover up the unit with a fake cheap-looking radio facade?

#58355 - 13/01/2002 11:34 Re: New Rio Car Player owner with a few questions [Re: MichaelDavid]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Hello! Welcome!

With respect to question #1, your best shot at an answer is to hire a psychic! Nobody claims to know what's going on at the store. For what it's worth, I have received several "out of stock" items in the past, but that could be pure chance.

Carry cases? IIRC, there are none available in the U.S., and only a few left in the U.K. for non-North American customers. There have been recent threads about this. Such is life, I guess. Alternatives? Search on "pelican".

Trunk mount? I think several folks have attempted this, perhaps even with some success, but the VFD display is not built to do this (and maybe not capable, either). There were several discussions; try searching on "extending display". I looked at those threads and quickly concluded that, as a mere mortal, it wasn't worth thinking about. Easier to start a new company and build one from scratch!!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#58356 - 13/01/2002 12:26 Re: New Rio Car Player owner with a few questions [Re: MichaelDavid]
tman
carpal tunnel

I think somebody in the past has just stuck a video camera pointing at the display instead of attempting to extend the wiring.

This does mean you'll need some sort of TV display in the car though...

- Trevor

#58357 - 13/01/2002 13:37 Re: New Rio Car Player owner with a few questions [Re: jimhogan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I posted in the 'For Sale' forum a few months back asking if one of our International friends would order a case for me. They did, and I had no problems whatsoever getting it that way. Its way cute

Thanks again Sven!!!

#58358 - 13/01/2002 14:36 Re: New Rio Car Player owner with a few questions [Re: jimhogan]
thenominous

Loc: UK
Ive found the solution to not having a tuner, being in the UK, I can order all of the cases and auction them off at ebay, giving me enough money to buy a tuner!

#58359 - 13/01/2002 20:01 Re: New Rio Car Player owner with a few questions [Re: MichaelDavid]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Congratulations on your new toy!

These are all FAQ items at this time:

Availability

Carry Case

Trunk Mount