Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#61075 - 18/01/2002 22:38 And we're off.....and we CRASHED!!!
declain
journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
In september, I got an Empeg. Loved it and then saw these dropping prices...So, Tuesday, I bought another, now Rio Car, in the 30GB model.

I received Thursday and powered it up in the house. It made a few HD clicking noises, then came on and stayed at the RIO logo. Not sure if this is the standard, but when trying to connect via USB, Serial, or Ethernet to Emplode, no go.

So, I upgraded to the developer 2b7. It started working fine. I put 200 songs on it for test, and feeling confident and happy, turned the older empeg over to my friend.

Knew that was a bad idea....Driving down the street today, with less than an hour total play time and four hours power time on the empeg, and the unit powers down.

So, I had to pull it out and put it back in the tray. Again, the dreaded click, click, click of the Hard Drive. The only other time I have heard that was on a completely dead scsi hd for the pc.

It also gives me an error stating there is no hard drive.

Now, I am assuming that this is a dead unit and in need of replacement, but wanted to see if maybe (hopefully) I am wrong???

#61076 - 18/01/2002 22:41 Re: And we're off.....and we CRASHED!!! [Re: declain]
mandiola
enthusiast

Loc: Miami, FL - Sioux Falls, SD
It sounds like a bad hard drive cable. Lots of the new ones sent out seem to have this problem. Mine as well as many others had this problem. Email support and they'll send you a new one if you feel you can replace it yourself, otherwise you'll have to send it in for repair.

-Greg

#61077 - 18/01/2002 22:48 Re: And we're off.....and we CRASHED!!! [Re: mandiola]
declain
journeyman

That's what I thought originally, but that wouldn't cause the hard drive to spin and click, would it????

#61078 - 18/01/2002 23:00 Re: And we're off.....and we CRASHED!!! [Re: declain]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
It *might* Mine was clicking when I first got it, then it started behaving itself...Then I had to send it off to have the display board replaced, and when I got it back, it wouldn't boot I was allowed to open it up and check, and it turned out to be the cable(I got lucky, I was able to plug the far end in, and it started working fine But they're out of cables right now and David is going to mail me one when he gets them in.

#61079 - 18/01/2002 23:03 Re: And we're off.....and we CRASHED!!! [Re: BAKup]
declain
journeyman

I just opened my and reseated the cables. Now it seems to work. The HD clicks three or four times during initial power, then is fine. I think I will still get the new cable when they get in though...