Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#61563 - 20/01/2002 19:29 UK user gets Empeg today!
Willd
new poster

Loc: Sussex UK
Hi folks, just to tell you the good news that I got my Empeg over from USA. Due to SB not shipping internationally (and not replying to my emails or answering the phone) I sought another source, which was a helpful ebay seller, who sorted me out with a 30gb player, for $399, and shipped it to a friend who was holidaying in USA. He is back in UK and brought the player to me this afternoon, and I have just spend several hours fiddling with it. Its great!

As a newbie, i was wondering , is the latest emplode software better than the one that was on my CD (it doesnt display file names, file sizes etc, so difficult to identify which tracks are what, when the ID3's are perhaps different from the actual file name)

Also, is the latest player operating system worth installing, and is it possible to reinstall the old one if needed ?
Just wondered as there are several things missing that I would expect to be there, like the track length display, the Kbps display and there are what seem to be to be odd ways the navigation works.

The navigation, seems illogical, is it just me? Compared with my Neo35, it takes a long time to get to a certain track by going through them (without cheating with the search thing on the remote)

The way that all the track names are side by side, meaning you can only see one at a time, rather than in a list, seems to defy logic, Is this different on other versions of the OS ?

Thanks for your time, and i apologise if i am posting in the wrong thread etc, but couldnt find answers to my q's elsewhere

Will
(Sussex, UK, 30GB rio car, smuggled over from USA)

#61564 - 20/01/2002 19:41 Re: UK user gets Empeg today! [Re: Willd]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
You can alter your SIG now that you have your empeg.

Read Tony's FAQ at riocar.org - go through the FAQ forum link or the riocar.org link above.

Your CD should have version 1.2 of all the software. 1.3 is better and version 2.0 betas are a LOT better (in terms of usability and features) - read all the release notes and the bug reports in the bugs forum.

Vertical scrolling of titles and lists has been discussed. We'll have to see what happens in the future.

You can set up the structure to be identical to the structure of your older Neo (directory-oriented using playlists).

Bruno

#61565 - 20/01/2002 20:05 Re: UK user gets Empeg today! [Re: hybrid8]
Willd
new poster

Loc: Sussex UK
Thanks.
(sig updated ! )

yes I just copied the root directory of my neo and CTRL-V into emplode, so the playlist arrangment is a spitting image of my directory structure. I assume that's what you mean.

I can't find a Front-rear fader control either, does it have one?
I love the visuals, especially the VU meters, and the starfield with overlaid pulsing text. mad!

So far I think its the nuts, in fact only a couple of things arent as good as the NEO. but the overall quality of the machine is excellent.

#61566 - 21/01/2002 03:08 Re: UK user gets Empeg today! [Re: Willd]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I can't find a Front-rear fader control either, does it have one?

Yes, it does have one, but only when installed in the car. The player knows the difference between when it's at home and when it's in the car, and changes certain parts of its behavior accordingly. For instance, it remembers two separate volume settings for home and car.

in fact only a couple of things arent as good as the NEO

You will eventually get used to the differences between the Neo and the Empeg. There's a little bit of culture shock as you have to change the way you think about certain things in the user interface. Once you're used to the way the Empeg works, you'll find that anything you could do on the Neo you can also do on the Empeg better.

Play with it, read the FAQ, and eventually you'll realize it's all better than the Neo.

#61567 - 21/01/2002 06:15 Re: UK user gets Empeg today! [Re: tfabris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

So Neo isn't The One?

#61568 - 21/01/2002 08:03 Re: UK user gets Empeg today! [Re: ]
Ionic
journeyman

Loc: Frankfurt, Germany
Nope... and I doubt anyone felt in love with "it"....

Frank

#61569 - 21/01/2002 08:40 Re: UK user gets Empeg today! [Re: Willd]
smitjere
new poster

Your welcome Will .