Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6159 - 02/10/1999 15:59 Shuffle
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
1st: I like the litte player; have some 50 CD's loaded and still ripping. It's really great to have access to all of these in the car. BUT why would 'Shuffle' select any random tracks on disk?

I have a lot of pop stored, plus jazz, classical, blues and even radio plays (13 disks with BBC plays of the Tolkien books). The current 'shuffle' plays selects any track, such that a pop is mingled with spoken word, and classical episodes!

Would appreciate more refinement to the shuffle function, allowing:

1) shuffle within the lowest level playlist until all tracks have been played (once). It should pause once it runs out of selections of a CD (all tracks have been played once (tis is the way my CD-player works).

2) random play of tracks within playlists of any selected higher hierarchy than an album. E.g. random play of tracks within level-1 (allowing to random play within pop, blues, or jazz categories if these were level one) or level-2 (e.g. random play of tracks of a particular performer). Avoiding playing a track more than once would be nice, but is not essential

3) the current random play of anything on the disk is a feature that I will never use.

Henno

#6160 - 02/10/1999 19:18 Re: Shuffle [Re: Henno]
borgcube
stranger

Loc: Texas, US
The shuffle feature works exactly as you described it. It shuffles what ever play list you have selected and anything below it. This way if you are like me and you have top level categories that are genre, second level categories that are artist, and third level that are CD. You can listen to a genre (reggae or books in your case) a specific artists music (Buju Banton or BBC Radio) or a specific CD ('til Shiloh or Book one of the Tolkien series). The flexibility is there it is just based on organization.

There is also the flexibility when you create a play list to always shuffle it or play it in order as if it were one song.

By the way I love the shuffle everything as there are times I want to listen to music but do not have a specific preference. I will then hear a song and go oh whao! "Matchbox 20" I have not heard them in ages select my [play list button Alternative play list and Matchbox 20 play list. Voila I am enjoying music I have that I would not have thought I was in the mood for... :>

Kamau Wanguhu
[email protected]
http://www.BORGcube.com

#6161 - 03/10/1999 04:41 Re: Shuffle [Re: borgcube]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
I just tried out what you wrote and indeed, the empeg behaves as you wrote! I'll experiment some more.
Thanks for clarifying
Henno

#6162 - 18/09/2000 21:16 Re: Shuffle [Re: Henno]
MattV
new poster

I have a slightly different (and probably simpler) idea for this problem: rather than have Shuffle On/Off, there should be three Shuffle modes: No Shuffle, Shuffle Tracks, and Shuffle Playlists.

I'm having fun at the moment (I just got my player) with random shuffling of all individual tracks on the player, but in the long term I'd rather have all my playlists (which are all my CDs, ripped) shuffled and played through individually. Like a *really* big CD stacker...

That's the ideal solution for me because I don't want to be constanly selecting things to play, but I do want to hear albums; individual tracks can be so out of context.

#6163 - 19/09/2000 09:36 Re: Shuffle [Re: MattV]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm having fun at the moment (I just got my player) with random shuffling of all individual tracks on the player, but in the long term I'd rather have all my playlists (which are all my CDs, ripped) shuffled and played through individually. Like a *really* big CD stacker...

You can do this right now.

Have your parent playlist (the playlist that is the parent to your albums) tagged with the "Always randomize contents" property. Then turn off shuffle and just play that playlist. It will randomize the albums, but not the tracks within those albums.

If you have the albums scattered in deeper subdirectories like I do, you could create a special playlist just for this feature. Call it "- Shuffled Albums -" and copy your individual album playlists into it.

Cool?