Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6302 - 04/11/1999 18:45 Shuffling and playlists
doug316
journeyman

Here's how I wish playlists worked:

Whenever you select a playlist, it should default to the original order that it was set up with in Emplode. Of course this should default to track number for an album but that's another issue.

When you switch to a new playlist, your position in that playlist should be saved. When you come back to it, you pick up where you left off.

For shuffling, this should not be an "on/off" feature, but a one time operation. For example, I select the "all" playlist. Then I select "shuffle". This operation causes the playlist to be randomly arranged. I listen to the first 100 songs. Then I want to hear a CD in its entirety, so I switch to that playlist and hear it in track order. Then I want to go back to my "all" playlist and pick up the shuffle where it left off so I hear fewer repeats.

The fact that the shuffle rearranges the playlist every time I select it is a drag.

#6303 - 05/11/1999 02:59 Re: Shuffling and playlists [Re: doug316]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
The fact that the shuffle rearranges the playlist every time I select it is a drag.

Unfortunately, your ideas oppose what other people are saying (although my initial view is that your method is more logical - and easier for us to implement!)

Beware, here comes another one of my "few choices" lists...

1. The current behaviour. Shuffle can be turned on and off at any time but it only affects next time you select a playlist.

2. The CD player behaviour (almost). Shuffle is either on or off. When it is switched the entire playlist is re{sorted,shuffled} appropriately.

3. The one shot method. Shuffle is an operation. You can select a playlist and then each time you hit shuffle it will reshuffle it. To return to the preset order just reselect the playlist.

4. The property customisation method. This is like #3 in the looping thread whereby you get a menu with the option to shuffle/loop etc. immediately after selecting a playlist and before it starts playing.

Comments please?

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#6304 - 05/11/1999 06:10 Re: Shuffling and playlists [Re: mac]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
even though i dont have an empeg yet, i think #4 sounds good, as long as there is a way to turn that option off/on so that it dosent pop up all the time when you just want to leave things the way they are for now.

jeremy

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...

#6305 - 09/11/1999 08:55 Re: Shuffling and playlists [Re: mac]
NasalGoat

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
I like the idea of it working like a CD player. The only feature I care about is that the empeg remembers that it's in random *and* it follows the shuffled list after a reboot.

Although a menu (#4) is interesting...