Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6536 - 23/01/2000 12:31 Emplode for Palm
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
It would be great to be able to run a version of Emplode for a 3com Palm. I don't want to upload MP3's, but to be able to edit track information, delete tracks, orginize playlists, etc...

Also, it would be great if I could back up my palm to my empeg. I could load my empeg full of Palm program and be able to copy the programs that I need back to my palm when ever I needed to use them!

#6537 - 24/01/2000 06:43 Re: Emplode for Palm [Re: scoco]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Now this would be really useful - you could edit your playlists on the fly and delete stuff that isn't successful on the spot instead of writing "little lists".....

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#6538 - 24/01/2000 06:58 Re: Emplode for Palm [Re: scoco]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Hugo already has his Palm talking to his empeg over IRdA - albeit just enough to print the owner name on the empeg display :-)

I think Palm software would probably need to come from a third party, as we really don't have the time for it - but when the protocols have stablised and are documented this shouldn't be too nightmarish a task.

Rob

#6539 - 24/01/2000 07:03 Re: Emplode for Palm [Re: schofiel]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Substitute Psion 5 for Palm and I'd be really interested...

Ideally, I'd like to be able to monitor the data the empeg puts out over the serial port using my Psion 5 via irda... or better yet, run the developer kernel and access a shell using the Psion's Comms app... now that would be a fun thing to demo (but whether it demonstrates how cool my empeg is, or how much of a geek I am depends on who I demo it to, I guess! )

Geoff
---- -------
Reg No. 554, s/n 00064 - It's mine I tell you.... all mine :)
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#6540 - 24/01/2000 14:36 Re: Emplode for Palm [Re: rob]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Are there any plans on making the empeg setup where someone could execute third party programs from the player? Not in the background with the player running, but the ability to enter the menu, chose programs, and have a list of third party programs installed on the Empeg. I realize this is not the purpose of the player, but it would be nice. I'd love to see features like having the empeg read all my sync'd E-Mails to me during the drive to work. oh the possibilities....

I think Palm software would probably need to come from a third party, as we really don't have the time for it - but when the protocols have stablised and are documented this shouldn't be too nightmarish a task.

#6541 - 24/01/2000 20:11 Re: Emplode for Palm [Re: scoco]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
Im another EMPEG customer who is weighing in in favor of some palm support.. if you could execute a small script to output the info to the IR port as indicated at All Things Empeg you can get a freeware IR port monitor program that will read any data coming from any IR source. You could then easily make a little proggie in any dev tool including basic on the palm pilot to read the output from the EMPEG.

i have a palm pilot that i love only half as much as my EMPEG :)

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com

#6542 - 25/01/2000 00:05 Re: Emplode for Palm [Re: scoco]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Yes, that's the plan. We'll document our API so third party applications can install themselves into the menu structure and co-exist nicely with the player and other applications.

Rob