Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#65989 - 02/02/2002 15:21 2001 Nissan Maxima--INSTALLED
riskable
new poster

Loc: Beverly, MA, USA
I just finished my Riocar install today (had it in there yesterday but finally bolted it in and secured wires today).

I'm not going to bother posting installation instructions since those are so readily available. I will say, however, that if you need help installing into a 2000-2001 Maxima, pop me an email =)

That also goes for installing with a Audiolink PD4 (www.linkmeup.com). Yes, I had the factory Bose installation. I must say though, with my Bose head unit I heard a slight hiss, but not with my Riocar! I never noticed I had a hiss until I took out my Bose and installed the Riocar.

I'll see if I can take some pics and post them.

#65990 - 02/02/2002 15:51 Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima--INSTALLED [Re: riskable]
riskable
new poster

Ugh, looks like my digital camera is on it's last legs. I took ~10 pics and this one came out the best of all of them (ugh, time to start shopping for a new one).

The only real interesting things is that you can see a tiny little chunk missing in the upper left-hand corner of the dash kit where I screwed up with the Dremel (hehe) and the fact that I ran the audio input from the Riocar into the glove compartment should someone want to listen to something on their portable player.

If you're going to do the Maxima install, get the scosche kit. It matches the dash PERFECTLY. Oh yeah, you're gonna need the antenna adapter.

The Audiolink PD4 works flawlessly--but only if you ground everything properly =)

BTW: If you make mistakes with your Dremel it's REAL hard to notice except in direct sunlight or from a camera's flash. No one has noticed it yet.

#65991 - 02/02/2002 22:18 Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima--INSTALLED [Re: riskable]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

That looks like the same dash (all-digital climate controlls and all) as my 2k2 SE. When you had your dash apart, could you tell if there was enough space behind the climate controls to install the empeg in place of the climate controls?

#65992 - 03/02/2002 05:22 Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima--INSTALLED [Re: TheAmigo]
riskable
new poster

Sure, there's plenty of room back there.

...but why the heck would you want to get rid of your climate control? I'm going to assume you have the new factory navigation system and are trying to be creative =)

BTW: I believe the climate control unit is the exact same width as the docking sled so you could mount it in that opening with minimal effort.

#65993 - 03/02/2002 13:03 Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima--INSTALLED [Re: riskable]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

Because I bought the bose HU (double din) when my empeg order got screwed up. When the empegs went on clearance, I decided to try again. Since I can't buy a tuner module (and they're way too expensive on ebay), I don't wanna get rid of my bose HU (6xCD, tape, am/fm). With digital climate controls, theory is just splice in some longer wires and move the controls into the armrest (they almost fit as-is).

I think it'd be really sweet if I could control the climate settings via software on the empeg, but I don't really think that's gonna happen any time soon.

#65994 - 03/02/2002 13:55 Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima--INSTALLED [Re: TheAmigo]
riskable
new poster

Well, I think what you're thinking of is VERY doable. You just need to splice into the HU audio conection wires and you're golden (you need to install a switch though because the HU has different voltage output than the Riocar).

The only thing that I think would be kinda tough is making a custom plastic bezel to fit around the opening. Otherwise it'll just be sitting there lookin' kinda ugly.

Here's a tip though: You'll need the HU to stay ON while you use your Riocar otherwise the amps will shut off... Unless you buy yourself an Audiolink PD4 and split the BOSE connectors completely into a Y configuration.

Hmm... Now you've got me thinking that maybe *I* should do this.

#65995 - 03/02/2002 14:04 Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima--INSTALLED [Re: riskable]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

Using a switch to toggle between listening to the empeg or the bose would be just fine. I'd prolly put it in the armrest with the climate controls. Since I'm fairly new to car audio, I don't know what type of switch I'd need. You mention different voltages between the empeg and the bose... does the amp auto-detect or did you have to put something inline in your setup to compensate? As far as the switch goes, is that something special or would wiring it up through a relay from Radio Shack work?

For the climate controls, if the faceplate doesn't come off, then I think what I'll do is cut a slot in the side wall inside the armrest and use the faceplate to support the control panel. That's about the least notable modification that I can think of.

#65996 - 04/02/2002 04:59 Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima--INSTALLED [Re: TheAmigo]
riskable
new poster

The switch is to take care of the voltage problem. It's really not that big a deal. The only thing that would happen if you didn't have the switch (and your HU volume was turned all the way down) is that your empeg would be a bit softer than it should be (i.e. quiet). That's what the switch solves.

As for where to mount it... If you can't fit it in the armrest, try the golve compartment. I'm pretty positive it'd fit in there with plenty of room to spare.

#65997 - 05/02/2002 02:37 Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima--INSTALLED [Re: riskable]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

I took my dash apart last night and posted to the Maxima board about extension cords for the climate controls. While I had it apart, I ran into a couple minor problems, but it looks like it'll work. With the faceplate removed from the climate controls, they fit nicely in the armrest.

I'm still undecided what to do about the gap that will be left around the empeg, but that's not gonna stop me from installing it!

#65998 - 05/02/2002 03:50 Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima--INSTALLED [Re: TheAmigo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm still undecided what to do about the gap that will be left around the empeg, but that's not gonna stop me from installing it!

Have you seen this FAQ entry?

Cool deal, moving the climate controls. That's what I call getting the priorities straight.