Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#66326 - 03/02/2002 21:08 What to expect when inserting playlists?
jloew
journeyman

Loc: SF Bay Area
When I insert a playlist, and have shuffle on, will it blend the new playlist or shuffle JUST the new playlist in the middle of the current one?

I can't quite tell. I think I'd like the former, though.

#66327 - 03/02/2002 21:47 Re: What to expect when inserting playlists? [Re: jloew]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
When I insert a playlist, and have shuffle on, will it blend the new playlist or shuffle JUST the new playlist in the middle of the current one?

Neither.

It will insert the new unshuffled playlist immediately after the currently playing song, unless that song happens to be from a previously inserted playlist and is followed by (even with shuffle on) another song from that same previously inserted playlist -- in which case the new playlist will be inserted after the second song.

There is an interesting aspect to inserting and shuffling playlists described here.

tanstaafl.

#66328 - 04/02/2002 06:30 Re: What to expect when inserting playlists? [Re: tanstaafl.]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England

Neither.

But it's much more like the latter. All the newly-inserted songs appear together (and, if shuffle is turned on, shuffled among themselves).

What tanstaafl's trying to say, is that if you've previously inserted stuff, the new stuff will play after what you inserted before. This means that if you insert three songs (in three separate visits to the menu or search system), they will play in the order in which you chose them. We're considering changing the name from "Insert" to "Queue" to make this more obvious.

Peter

#66329 - 04/02/2002 09:26 Re: What to expect when inserting playlists? [Re: peter]
jloew
journeyman

Loc: SF Bay Area
OK, now this makes sense. I like "queue" as the description, but there is one scenario that I don't like: 1.) insert playlist (i.e. more than one song), then 2.) search for song to insert. In this scenario, I have to wait for the whole previous playlist to hear the one song I just searched for.

Otherwise, the overall logic makes perfect sense. Since search only returns single songs, maybe it can be changed to truly "insert" instead of "queue"?

Oh, and I guess it would be cool if there were the options of 1.) Queue, 2.) Insert and 3.) Blend (where the shuffled playlist is distributed among the entire current playlist)

Is this worth of a wishlist item yet? ;-)

#66330 - 04/02/2002 11:26 Re: What to expect when inserting playlists? [Re: jloew]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
I seem to remember a discussion not all that long ago where it was stated that there will be both 'Insert' and 'Queue', not sure about blend though.

#66331 - 04/02/2002 21:35 Re: What to expect when inserting playlists? [Re: beaker]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I know exactly what thread you're thinking of. I want to know WHEN? I can't stand the current "insert" when I have already used it and now I want (need) to stuff something at my current listening position.

One terminology problem is that "QUEUE" isn't a good way to describe the current functionality either. It is only queueing after the previously inserted items. People might confuse that with "APPEND." I suppose we can start inventing words, like INSQUE...

But, when all is said and done, I don't really care what they're called. I just want both abilities (in addition to append and replace of course)

Bruno

#66332 - 05/02/2002 09:19 Re: What to expect when inserting playlists? [Re: jloew]
warsaw
stranger

Loc: Colorado
I wishlisted the "blend" option a while back. It's something I definitely want.