Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#66690 - 04/02/2002 13:07 Windows Install Error
oakley
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I've searched the FAQ, which basically tells me to look at the Microsoft Knowledge base, which was of course useless (no search returned results until I tried "install error" which is a pretty broad category considering all of their different products, and that search returned an error that said page unavailable).

I'm hoping someone has seen (and solved) this before. When I try to install to win2k professional, first the uninstaller fails to initialize (big whoop)

Then the install process gets about halfway done, and I get this error:

Rio Car emplode Installation (red X)

An error occurred during the move data process: -119

Component: Shared Files
File Group: Shared registering DLLs
File: C:\WINNT\System32\MSFLXGRD.OCX

I click OK and the whole thing quits. I tried downloading the latest emplode from the web site, same error.

Maybe I'll put XP on this box, if that'll help.. I only use my windows box at work for audiogalaxy anyway.. I wanted to install the windows software to have cool stuff to play with on my empeg before I actually put the music on.. I'll probably install music using the linux util, which seems to be lacking pretty much every cool feature the windows util has for changing your empeg setup..

any help would be appreciated!

- reid

#66691 - 04/02/2002 13:22 Re: Windows Install Error [Re: oakley]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Stupid question: Do you have Administrator privileges on this box?

#66692 - 04/02/2002 13:43 Re: Windows Install Error [Re: Roger]
oakley
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
You don't understand. There are no stupid questions when it comes to me and Windows (especially the new "real" multi-user stuff unlike that crap they had in 95/98).

It's a box I have at work, and since I never really use it, I guess I've never tried to install software on it before. Problem solved, emplode installed. Thanks for the quick response!

... I would have found it more useful if windows had given me a more informative error, but what the hell.

- reid

#66693 - 04/02/2002 14:16 Re: Windows Install Error [Re: oakley]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So that was the problem? Wrong privileges?

For anyone making InstallShield setups, the script code to check for this at the beginning of the setup is as follows:

if ( Is (USER_ADMINISTRATOR, "") = FALSE ) then
MessageBox ( "Sorry, you do not have administrator
privileges on this box, you cannot
install the software.", SEVERE );
abort;
endif;

Dunno if that works in the latest InstallShields or not...

#66694 - 05/02/2002 04:11 Re: Windows Install Error [Re: tfabris]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Thanks, Tony.

This is one of my biggest beefs with software packaging. If your installer is going to do something requiring Administrator privileges (meaning it will fail without it), CHECK IF YOU HAVE THE PRIVELEGES FIRST! Don't make the user figure it out after something has gone wrong.

-Aaron