Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#68365 - 07/02/2002 17:14 Intall in Mazda 323 Power question...
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Hi all, great BBS loads of great info. This is my first post, ohh.

I have my riocar on its way from carplayer (here on monday I hope). I have a Mazda 323 (96 model) which has a double DIN so I plan to use my Sony CDX-m700r headunit and feed the empeg in to the aux in put. I have solved the problem of getting the Aux to work by using a XA-300 (on its way from unbeatable.co.uk ,£85)

But I am a little worried how I am going to power the empeg unit. I have read all the FAQ's but still not sure.

Will it be OK to cutomise my existing ISO lead and T the empeg into it ? Or will this not deliver enough power ? I really don't want run power leads from the battery as I want to keep the car as close to factory as possible (also I'm a complete spanner when it comes to wiring).

Any views ?

Cheers, Cris.

#68366 - 07/02/2002 17:20 Re: Intall in Mazda 323 Power question... [Re: Cris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Will it be OK to cutomise my existing ISO lead and T the empeg into it ? Or will this not deliver enough power ?

The only way you're going to know is to simply try it. Depends on how much current the other head unit is eating up, and what the wiring is like to the fuse box from that connector. In Theory, it should work, but we don't live in Theory, do we?

#68367 - 07/02/2002 17:26 Re: Intall in Mazda 323 Power question... [Re: Cris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Pirst Fost! Welcome!

FWIW, I had the same question when I tapped into the pretty-slender-looking harness connector leads on my WRX (I also have a separate HU, a Kenwood 6017). Anyhow, I haven't measured it scientifically, but the current draw of the Empeg (I know that it has been referenced on the BBS a zillion times) combined with the Kenwood doesn't create any strain. I'm using the factory fuse for the past 9 months and no problem. I just concentrated on a big-time direct cable to the amp in the boot/trunk (something like that -- it's a wagon/saloon).

If you search on "WRX", there's a link somewhere to pics of my install and the harness connections I made. I went a little overboard and am not advocating that anyone do it exactly the way I did it, but it may demonstrate the concept of creating a "Y" feeder from the constant positive, switched positive, earth/ground, and illumination from the (Metra? Scosche? I don't know) factory harness adapter plug that I got from Crutchfield.

Hope that helps!

Measure 6 times, cut once!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.