Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#72377 - 16/02/2002 18:51 2 more questions
coldasice
new poster

Thanks for the help on the first 2. done and working...
next 2
1. how do I see or display the clock
2. is there any way to keep the loga I downloaded as the logo that is displayed after boot and during songs if I so choose.
Thanks
Mark

#72378 - 16/02/2002 19:48 Re: 2 more questions [Re: coldasice]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I will give you two "replies" that will help you in the future. It's like teaching a man to fish.

1. Use a DESCRIPTIVE subject. Not something useless like "2 questions" - WHAT are the questions about?

2. Before posting in the first place, USE THE SEARCH FEATURE OF THE BBS. And READ THE FAQ.

Really, all your questions are answered either in the FAQ or in other recent posts of the BBS. If you got through some of this material, you'll be able to learn a lot more than the two simple answers you're seeking. Then you might be able to come up with a few questions that haven't already been covered a million times. Of course Tony will quickly add them to the FAQ. But then you get to tell other people to check the FAQ.

See, life is wonderful. Now get reading.

Bruno

#72379 - 16/02/2002 20:29 Re: 2 more questions [Re: hybrid8]
coldasice
new poster

Thank you for the advice, on how to phrase a question, I will remember that for the future.
I realize that the answer to most questions are in the faq, if you know the correct keyword to find them, dont mind reading endless posts only to find it doesnt answer the question, understand the answer the way it is posted, etc,etc, etc.
Teaching a man to fish is the right Idea but the ocean is big, you may want to show him the good fishing spots.
Knowledge is to be shared, not dangle as a carrot. If people are only going to answer questions by telling everyone to check the faq then we dont really need a bbs just a faq.
No disrespect meant,but with the amount of effort in your reply, it may have been easier to answer the questions.When someone is inexperienced and learning a new product sometime a kind word will keep them interested and make them want to be a part of the board instead of intimidated or affraid to ask questions.
Again.. No disrespect
Just my opinion.
Thanks
Mark.

#72380 - 16/02/2002 21:06 Re: 2 more questions [Re: coldasice]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
. If people are only going to answer questions by telling everyone to check the faq then we dont really need a bbs just a faq.

As you can see from reading this BBS, lots of very willing people answer lots of questions here. (OK, if it's me you probably want to double-check the answer, but we try!!)

No disrespect meant,but with the amount of effort in your reply, it may have been easier to answer the questions.When someone is inexperienced and learning a new product sometime a kind word will keep them interested and make them want to be a part of the board instead of intimidated or affraid to ask questions.

Allow me to offer you a kind word: I hope you stay interested, are part of the board, and are not afraid to ask questions. That being said, hybrid8's advice is good advice -- yes, he did put some effort into it. The overall quality of what both you and I will find on this BBS in the future will be better if folks work to get as much information as they can out of the excellent FAQs (that took some people a *lot* of work to build) before posting questions that may be answered very well there.

Hope that helps,

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#72381 - 16/02/2002 21:23 Re: 2 more questions [Re: coldasice]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
If people are only going to answer questions by telling everyone to check the faq then we dont really need a bbs just a faq."

The faq is there to help people out. The faq is there because people don't want to type out answers to the same questions over and over again. Its not just any FAQ, its a good one! Seriously, you should read the whole thing through like a type of users manual. I know the search function on the bbs is sometimes difficult, but for many hacks, it is the only source of documentation available. Contact me on icq if you need help.

Sean

#72382 - 16/02/2002 21:59 FAQ's [Re: jimhogan]
AlB

Loc: SF
As a new guy to Empeg I would like to offer that some of the FAQ's are more "enthusiast" oriented. Some use the "Empeg Lingo" and a search for "cannot retrieve player information" or "hangs on retrieving player information" do not result in anything.
I had a problem with increasing sync times and did a search, on slow sync times and retrieving player information (where the player was hanging). I didn't find anything so I asked a question. Tony was nice enough to point me to the FAQ item that helped and I felt kinda dumb for not finding it when I read the heading which was "My config.ini file went all goofy on me, and I can't edit my favorite visuals any more!" which eventually pointed me to the problem, but did not mention slow sync times. (see thread) .

I did not know about config files or shell scripts until I had this problem and as you can see from the thread I ended up resolving the issue in a different manner (still not completely sure what I did but things are normal now) and as a bonus learned more about empeg than I almost cared to.

Now there's a thread with "Slow sync times" (my original issue) that will help someone else out (hopefully).

I really love the empeg and find this BBS one of the best at trading information, thanks for the patience, all of you experienced users and programmers out there. I promise to try the FAQ's but sometimes I don't really know what the real problem is

#72383 - 17/02/2002 01:14 Re: FAQ's [Re: AlB]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
AIB,

I think I know what you mean. I have spent hours in the past looking through tech support docs and troubleshooting databases, then spent time on the phone waiting for tech support, only to discover that the answer was in something I had already looked at. I didn't really see it, though, because what I was experiencing as a problem was maybe the same problem, but from a different perspective or a different set of symptoms.....OR like you say the answer was so shrouded in esoteric jargon that you'd have to be an expert already to decode it.

I shouldn't get *too* sanctimonious in this area. I think I have gotten the VDS (virtual dope slap) here once or twice for asking stuff that was plain as day in the FAQs. What I've found helps as an approach on BBSes and lists is to make it clear that I read the FAQ but (Sorry!) that I couldn't find the answer. I think it helps to make the subject as specific as possible so that folks can zoom in on the topic (or ignore it if it ain't their thing).

To newer folks on the BBS I say welcome, and thanks for your patience (and for reading the FAQs!!) Somebody has said it before and I think they were right. This is very likely one of the most unique BBSes on the planet and probably the best. (I have not illusions that this is due in any part to my windbag tendencies but is thanks to a lot of other folks such as the devoted FAQmeister Mr. Fabris -- and a *bunch* of other odd characters!)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#72384 - 17/02/2002 02:43 Re: FAQ's [Re: AlB]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Well, the FAQ simply can't cover everything and various problems often come and go with software versions. Another problem is the way the search of the FAQ works, it is exact substring only (unless someone changed it recently), making it hard to enter a few keywords together - with a single word you often get a lot of hits, with more than one you often get no hit (unless you are aware of just how the thing you're looking for has been described earlier - which is unlikely for a new member). And then there's the specific lingo thing - you might search using a perfectly reasonable word - but the FAQ or BBS uses another to describe the same thing...

In your case I was far from sure that the problem was multiplying Favorite Visuals entries in the config.ini. But I did know that there was an existing problem with them and combined with you saying that that part of the sync took longer and longer time... I don't think that anyone previously had mentioned that it took a long time to do that part of the sync - probably because people had caught it before the size of the file had become so large that it noticeably slowed down the sync.
Which again is why the FAQ entry Tony pointed you to didn't mention that it could cause your symptoms...

The point is that we have a (very good) FAQ, unfortunately not with the best of search features. We also have a quite good search feature on the BBS. If a new user tries to use them and fails because of the technical limitations or from lack of empeg lingo familiarity, no one is going to rip their head off for posting a question which has a FAQ answer or is easily retrieved from the BBS if you know the lingo.
But a new user would probably get a less terse answer than "FAQ" or "Search the BBS" if he/she in the post showed that he had indeed tried to find the answer on his own. "I tried these search terms, found nothing that looks applicable" would probably yield a reply with more appropriate search terms, a pointer to the proper FAQ entry or to a thread where the issue has been discussed, if not the answer outright.

Not that a "FAQ" answer with a link is an evil thing - for many things the FAQ is the best thing to point to. If the user can't understand/use the FAQ answer he'd be perfectly welcome to state that and he'd get help from that point, in the same way a "I found this FAQ entry (or post), but am not sure if/how it applies" would probably get a longer, more descriptive, reply than a "How do I" post.

I think that if we see no (evidence of) effort expended, we tend to give back the minimum possible while still helpful. Sometimes, if in a good mood, we give the answer anyway, if in a less good mood the reply might be testier but still point to the answer, or a way to find the answer. It is quite rare to get a totally unhelpful answer here.

/Michael

#72385 - 17/02/2002 10:49 Re: 2 more questions [Re: coldasice]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
1. how do I see or display the clock

This is only in the version 2.0 beta software and later. If you are running software 1.02 or 1.03, you cannot see the clock.

is there any way to keep the loga I downloaded as the logo that is displayed after boot and during songs if I so choose.

The logo that is displayed during boot will only show during boot. It is a different file than any of the other images. You cannot associate a graphic with a given song.

There are some new tools, just being developed, which let you change some of the logos on some of the visuals (but not all of them).

The visuals named "Image Pan", "TuxMuch", "TuxTooMuch", and "Tubular" can be edited with a program called RAWerter, do a search on this BBS for the software. However, I recommend that you get comfortable with the player before attempting to change these files.

#72386 - 17/02/2002 10:49 Re: 2 more questions [Re: coldasice]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Since no one answered your questions, and since I'm in a little better mood than yesterday...

1. You can see a LARGE clock by changing visuals until you get to one of the clock visuals. You can see a small clock instead of track time by selecting the Time Code clock option instead of elapsed/remaining.

2. No. And yet yes... The logo you send for a BOOT LOGO is stored in the kernel. It is not the file that is loaded for any of the visuals. That said, you can edit your own visuals logos for ImagePan, Tux Much and TuxTooMuch. Go to THIS thread and read the whole thing. Then download Wire's converter program and go nuts.

Bruno