Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#75386 - 27/02/2002 22:53 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: mlord]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
If you associate the zimage file with Tony's logo editor, it makes installing new kernels a simple matter of clicking on the link, selecting run, and plugging the empeg in via serial.. I don't know of anything else that's as easy.. Just tag on "%1" 10000 1 to the application path and it's semi-automatic.. (Course, that's for winders..)

#75387 - 27/02/2002 23:23 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: Yang]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I actually designed Logoedit so that you could double-click on a .zimage file and it should run the main "logoedit.exe" and then upload the logo for you.

Unfortunately, it only works intermittently for me. Sometimes it launches the logo editor without uploading the file. Sometimes it launches and uploads. I haven't figured out why, yet.

When I address the next version of the logo editor, I will see if I can make it work 100 percent, and then it will be even easier (just say "open with" on a Zimage file, and check the "always open this kind of file with this program" box).

As it stands right now, you can do that and it will work sometimes. If it doesn't work, at least logoedit will run and then you can just drag the zimage file onto the logo editor and it will work at that time.

#75388 - 27/02/2002 23:44 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    I still find it weird that you can assign max room to folders for instance.
???

I think of myself as something of a Unix expert, and I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so either you've been misinformed here, or you've struck one of my random areas of no-knowledge(TM).

#75389 - 28/02/2002 00:19 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
You should see if you could somehow integrate a feature like Autohijack. It doesn't get any easier that that once you set it up. Just double click and it checks for a new version, downloads and installs it in one swoop. Sweet!

#75390 - 28/02/2002 06:37 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I guess really misunderstood... I was referring to this post by you:

Simple: find a partition that has enough space on it.

The root partition on your player probably (just guessing here..) has only about 7MB of available space, so your FTP bombs once that space is consumed.

I had mis-read it (or remembered incorrectly) as the "root directory" not the "root partition". And it made no sense to me, but I just chalked it up as my lack of knowledge in Linux. Looking at it now, it does make perfect sense. It's another thread that I just glanced over seeing what bits I could learn. I think next time I'll wait till after my first cup of coffee!

#75391 - 28/02/2002 06:42 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
To be honest, I think that the kernal load in the Logo Editor couldn't be any easier. A complete no-brainer. The install of the kernal was never a concern of mine. Except for the patch files... a month or so ago, when I was first looking into HiJack (and made a post asking for people's comments) I really didn't know what all the files were for and whether or not I needed them all. I figured it out quick enough from Mark's page, but it might seem confusing at first to others. I PM'd Loren yesterday about adding that to the FAQ.

#75392 - 28/02/2002 07:17 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: tfabris]
Yang
addict

For me it has never _not_ worked. The only thing that ever goes wrong, is when the empeg is already up and ignores the logo tool's attempt at rebooting it.. if you have spaces in the path of the zimage file, make sure that the %1 has quotes around it or it won't be passed in as a single argument.

#75393 - 28/02/2002 10:46 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I still find it weird that you can assign max room to folders for instance.
I think of myself as something of a Unix expert, and I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about,

I thought he was referring to disk quotas. Is that even enabled in the Empeg version of the Linux OS?

#75394 - 28/02/2002 10:48 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: Yang]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

if you have spaces in the path of the zimage file, make sure that the %1 has quotes around it or it won't be passed in as a single argument.

I don't think "upload.exe" will tolerate spaces and quotes. Logoedit.exe deliberately changes the name to a short filename before passing it on to upload.exe.

#75395 - 28/02/2002 11:34 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

He clarified later that he misunderstood something that was said. The reason I assumed it wasn't quotas is because Windows also has quotas, not to mention that the quota concept doesn't quite match his description.

And you're right in that the empeg kernel does not have quota support turned on.

#75396 - 28/02/2002 11:38 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

because Windows has quotas

Windows did not have quotas until Windows 2000 server was released. And when the did it in 2K server, they did it in a horribly broken way that is completely useless to any network administrator.

As a result, I use a third-party product to do quotas on my NT4 servers and I do not use 2K as my main server OS.

#75397 - 28/02/2002 11:53 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Fair enough. I never really used NT that much, but my W2K workstation machine has quota support, FYI. Out of curiosity, in what way is it broken?

#75398 - 28/02/2002 12:21 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Out of curiosity, in what way is it broken?

The proper way to do quotas is by directory. For instance: "Folder named F:\Foobar\Documents cannot exceed 200 megabytes. The following users are allowed to exceed this quota in an emegergency: Tony, Bitt, and Mark."

Windows 2000, on the other hand, has a completely and totally useless way of doing it, which is: "The user named Bitt cannot store more than 200 megabytes on this disk drive".

There is no option for granularity, and it doesn't let you control individual folders and network shares. So I can't, for example, take a 200gb RAID array that's mapped as a single drive letter, create multiple shares ("Programming", "Art Department", "Managers"), and manage the caps on those shares individually.

The whole point of quotas (for me) is to prevent a given network share from consuming an entire disk drive. In the example above, I would need to balance the caps on those shares so that the Managers don't fill up the drive, making Programming and Art Department run out of critical space. Microsoft's way of doing it is useless in this regard.

#75399 - 28/02/2002 12:29 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The way you described it working currently under Windows is the same way it works under most Unix implementations I've seen. The major difference being how drives are organized under Unix as opposed to Windows. Anyone know how VMS deals with quotas? It would seem that whatever method is used there would have been a better choice for Windows.

#75400 - 28/02/2002 13:16 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: tfabris]
Yang
addict

I don't think "upload.exe" will tolerate spaces and quotes. Logoedit.exe deliberately changes the name to a short filename before passing it on to upload.exe.

Well... All I know is that it didn't work before, and after I put the quotes around the %1 in the file association, it worked.. As I always do the 'open file' option in IE, and have never had any problems (am pretty sure it throws it into the Temporary Internet Files directory, and the filename is definately longer than 8 characters) I am pretty confident that things are being taken care of.. *shrug*

#75401 - 28/02/2002 14:20 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: Yang]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

and the filename is definately longer than 8 characters

The problem isn't the length, it's the fact that the code uses spaces to parse command line parameters. So if the path and/or filename has spaces, it will mis-parse as far as I know. There's no problem with a 50-character filename as long as it doesn't have spaces. I could be wrong...

#75402 - 28/02/2002 15:10 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: tfabris]
Yang
addict

oops.. I should have double-checked this before.. Just associate the zimage file with the upload.exe tool and not logoedit.exe..

#75403 - 28/02/2002 15:58 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: Yang]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Right, but as I was saying, I intended for you to be able to associate it with logoedit. I don't know why doing this only works intermittently.

#75404 - 28/02/2002 16:29 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: tfabris]
NiCKEL
journeyman

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
You can also check out:
http://pernocto.com/index.php?frame=kload&main=/empeg/kload/

It will associate a couple of scripts with .zimage so that when selecting open or double clicking, FindEMPEG will get the IP address of your unit and then dos ftp wiil be used to send the new kernel over. I have been using it for a while and havn't had any trouble with it.

You will of course need to have a version of Hijack installed to use the FTP server.

If your using windows 2000/NT keep an eye on the webpage I will be releasing a WinLogon extension DLL shortly that pauses/unpauses the player when you lock/unlock your workstation

-Geoff

#75405 - 28/02/2002 16:33 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: NiCKEL]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The idea of the WinLogon extension is a neat one. I like that.

But I already have the GINA double-daisy-chained with two other utilities and I'd be really leery about replacing that. Once I screwed up my system in that area and it wouldn't log on properly until I fixed the GINA daisy chain. That was a pain in the ass.

#75406 - 28/02/2002 16:50 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: NiCKEL]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
i added your stuff to the FAQ here. If that doesn't satisfy let me know. =]

#75407 - 28/02/2002 18:19 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: tfabris]
NiCKEL
journeyman

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
My DLL is only an extension not a hook. I simply get notified of events by the winlogon executable so even if my DLL fails the worst that happens is the player doesn't pause/unpause.... well the _worst_ thing that could happen is the dll sets off a chain of events ending in total global annihilation.... but that’s relatively unlikely.

I’m not as low down as the GINA since I don't really need to do authentication and the such I simply want to know when you lock/unlock.

The add-on is actually up now if anyone wanted to take a gander.

http://pernocto.com/index.php?frame=PLock&main=/empeg/plock

-Geoff

#75408 - 28/02/2002 19:25 Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack [Re: NiCKEL]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

My apologies, then. I did not realize that you didn't hook into the GINA. Then of course your program wouldn't have any of the problems I encountered with other GINA hooks. Sorry, hope I didn't scare anyone away.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2