Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7606 - 06/02/2000 17:01 Slow-mo?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Hmm, an odd bug today. I'm running 9b of course. The unit had been sitting on my desk in "sleep" mode for a couple hours. Prior to making it "sleep", I had been listening to a new album I'd just uploaded to it, and it had been working fine.

Well, I came back from the trip to the grocery store and pressed one of the track up/down buttons on the front of the unit and it began to play, picking up right where it had left off. But it was playing the audio very choppy, and the visualization was running in slow motion (at a significantly reduced frame rate, I mean). It was as if the unit's CPU was being bogged down by something- it was similar to the effect you get when you try to run Quake at high-resolution on a low-power computer.

I put the unit back into sleep mode and woke it up again: same thing. I thought there might have been something wrong with the MP3 file (it was new to the unit after all), but after selecting another playlist with known-to-be-good tunes, the same behavior happened.

So I pulled the power plug and forced a reboot. Problem went away and hasn't come back since.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#7607 - 06/02/2000 23:57 Re: Slow-mo? [Re: tfabris]
corby
journeyman

Yes, the most recent time this happened to me, it went like this:

I started up the car, Empeg booted, continued playing current track. Of course, I was showing the unit to my passengers for the first time. B)

Visualizations were running at a choppy framerate, music was seriously skipping. Kind of weirded me out, so I powered down the unit and removed it. We went in to eat, came out, started the car, powered up the unit, and everything was working normal again.

On another subject, I thought I'd post an update on the (unrelated) "Slo-mo" bug I posted earlier. On suggestion from Empeg, I narrowed down and discovered that the bug only occurred on specific tracks, and always occurred on those tracks. I previously reported that it would take a couple of minutes to start the track, but what was actually happening is that it was futzing with that track for a couple of minutes, until it would apparently "give up" and skip on to the next track. A couple of the tracks would actually force a reboot of the Empeg. Anyway, I believe that the affected tracks were all part of the same sync batch for a sync that I did under version 8B of the software. So I will write off that problem to "buggy sync process that corrupted my files" and assume that it has been fixed by now. As soon as I get a chance, I will upload fresh copies of the tracks to my Empeg.

Corby
SN#320, 6-Gig Blue