Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#77659 - 04/03/2002 18:42 OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence.
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Well, for all I know this has been passed around for years. But a friend inflicted it on me today, and I felt compelled to inflict it on y'all.

[edit: in case this *has* been around for eons, it would only seem polite to add the word "tugboat" in the title...]

Edited by jimhogan (04/03/2002 19:46)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#77660 - 04/03/2002 20:59 Re: OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence. [Re: jimhogan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Now that is funny!

#77661 - 05/03/2002 01:17 Re: OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence. [Re: jimhogan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Saw that in a news group the other day. I used to do canoe slalom, and had to do a similar manouver to clear a walkbridge once when the water was unusually high.
But to roll a slalom kayak once in a while is expected, that isn't the case for tugboats

/Michael

#77662 - 06/03/2002 19:28 Re: OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence. [Re: jimhogan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
My manager passed me this (he's a boater and had recently seen the pics ):

It was at the old Rooster Bridge at Demopolis, Ala. -- April 28, 1979

The CAHABA, Capt. Jimmy Wilkerson, was dropping 2 of his 4 barges thru the East span of Rooster Bridge -- around mile 200 on the lower Tenn-Tom -- with intent of running around thru the lift span and catching them below. Pilot Earl Barnhart was on the tow helping the 2 deckhands take off safety wires, winch wires, etc. Wilkerson underestimated current, and got too close to the bridge. They had taken loose all rigging except the stbd. winch wire, which had somehow fouled. This wire pulled the stbd. tow knee under the bridge, and when it broke, the towknee popped up and hung in the bridge steel. Now he's stuck, and the current laid the CAHABA onto the bridge, stbd. side to.

When the lower port deck went awash, the vessel rolled, went through the span, and came partially back up once it cleared. Capt. Wilkerson remained at the sticks; the port front pilot house window blew out, filling the place with water. The boat with the blue trim you see is the CATHY PARKER; she was waiting above for her turn. The CATHY radioed to the TALLAPOOSA, who was down the reach below Blacks Bluff, that something had happened to the CAHABA. Capt. Gary Grammer tied off the TALLAPOOSA's tow, and light-boated to the CAHABA, where he pushed her out into a flooded corn field. The stbd. main engine of the CAHABA was still running. The TALLAPOOSA then rescued the 3 crew members, and secured the 2 loose CAHABA barges.

The photographer was from the Linden, AL DEMOCRAT, en route to Meridian, MS, and happened to get caught as the CAHABA blew for a draw at the Rooster bridge. It's believed that what kept these pictures out of circulation for so long was that the President of Warrior & Gulf, owners of the CAHABA, bought the negatives immediately after they were published in the LINDEN DEMOCRAT.

What righted the vessel? She had just topped off with fuel at Demopolis, 14 miles upstream. The CAHABA has one central fuel tank fwd. of the engines. Had that tank been 1/2 full, she might have never come back up.

Bruno

#77663 - 07/03/2002 09:47 Re: OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence. [Re: hybrid8]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

My manager passed me this

I hoped you used OCR! That's a lot of detail!

When I first saw that pages of photos, the guy had just the captions, no explanation whatsoever. The captions suggested that the CAHABA was expecting a bridge opening and made it seem funnier from an "Oh Sh*t!" perspective. It's still pretty amazing, but it makes a lot more sense with the explanation (barge drop, fouled cable/winch, etc.) The big quandary: Should I send the guy this more complete explanation or would it spoil the fun? Answer: maybe wait a few weeks....

Jim

#77664 - 07/03/2002 10:35 Re: OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence. [Re: jimhogan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Umm... My manager emailed me the details. Jeez, OCR... Ugh.

Bruno

#77665 - 07/03/2002 10:45 Re: OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence. [Re: hybrid8]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

My manager emailed me the details

Whew. Y'know, I think it will mark some sort of major life-changing event when I can hear/read "passed" and not think of a sheaf of papers in your manager's hand. Of course, my estimate is that this passage will take place just about the time they bundle me off to the nursing home...

Jim

#77666 - 07/03/2002 13:56 Re: OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence. [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, the fact that the word ``manager'' was used tends to lead us to the conclusion that the least efficient method possible was used. If he'd said ``A local engineer passed me the details'', you would have assumed email right from the start.

#77667 - 07/03/2002 14:13 Re: OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence. [Re: hybrid8]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Hmmm, another version of what happened... The claim of why it self-righted is different... as is the number of people on the tugboat as it went under the bridge.

#77668 - 07/03/2002 15:32 Re: OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence. [Re: davec]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

These two versions actually seem pretty close for a 23 year-old story, but for grins I thought I'd attempt a small dissection.... Bruno's non-OCR manager story bits are in green Dave's found "Captain Smith" story is in orange....

It was at the old Rooster Bridge at Demopolis, Ala. -- April 28, 1979

I'd say that both stories agree on the basics...

And as Paul Harvey used to say..." that's the rest of the story..."

Oops! Minus 10 credibility points for mentioning PH!!

The CAHABA, Capt. Jimmy Wilkerson, was dropping 2 of his 4 barges thru the East span of Rooster Bridge -- around mile 200 on the lower Tenn-Tom -- with intent of running around thru the lift span and catching them below. Pilot Earl Barnhart was on the tow helping the 2 deckhands take off safety wires, winch wires, etc. Wilkerson underestimated current, and got too close to the bridge. They had taken loose all rigging except the stbd. winch wire, which had somehow fouled. This wire pulled the stbd. tow knee under the bridge, and when it broke, the towknee popped up and hung in the bridge steel. Now he's stuck, and the current laid the CAHABA onto the bridge, stbd. side to.

The next step was to back the vessel upriver and then go over to the far West side and traverse the bridge's channel span with the boat, and run down and catch the barges. It was just too dangerous to try to bring the barges through the bridge span in the current.

I've omitted alot of detail. I think that they are saying more or less the same thing WRT dropping barges under the "slack" east end of the bridge. For a second I wondered about Smith's use of "channel" span when it looked like a lift bridge, but I assume that he meant the same. Also, when I looked again at pics 3, 4, 5, not only does it look like a bascule-type lift bridge, but it appears that it is already open (looks like tilted roadway to me, anyway).

What righted the vessel? She had just topped off with fuel at Demopolis, 14 miles upstream. The CAHABA has one central fuel tank fwd. of the engines. Had that tank been 1/2 full, she might have never come back up.

....Notice that the boat re-surfaced right side up on the down stream side. What luck you say? Nope, WGN ballasted all their vessels with three to four feet of cement in the bottom. The boat was like a little yellow rubber duckie, and came back up like a duckie oughta do. The boat suffered major cosmetic damages....

They could both be right. Most anything beyond a pontoon boat or speedboat is ballasted and what Smith says the CAHABA carries for ballast doesn't seem at all unusual. You never get to see the below-waterline hull profile in the pics, but for river work I'm going to guess that it is pretty shallow draft and that any ballast is spread across a wide hull section. Looking at the pics where the boat is in its most extreme position, my gut says that -- with as much superstructure as it has along with shallow draft -- it looks perilously close to passing its "righting moment", the point beyond which it would capsize and not recover. If it was that close, then a full tank of fuel way down low could have tipped the balance, where a more mobile incompletely-full tank would have actually contributed to a capsize. In the end, though, the river may not be deep enough to permit a complete capsize and would've saved the boat's butt if everything was buttoned up.

Anyhow, I believe both of them and Smith's extended story has great detail, Paul Harvey notwithstanding! So, does getting overanalytical take the fun out of such Internet oddities??

And, yes, the notion of "manager" did contribute to the paper-passing imagery!

Jim

#77669 - 07/03/2002 19:33 Re: OOT: a DNTTAH Tugboat photo sequence. [Re: jimhogan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The person that "passed" me the info got it from one of the boating groups he reads. He didn't write it himself.

And everyone I work with is engineering oriented, even management. After all, he's a Software Manager, not a Wendy's Manager.

Bruno