Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#78908 - 09/03/2002 00:32 Furthur - more
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Have any of you heard of this new program called Furthur? A friend turned me on to it recently and it's just simply incredible.

What it comes down to is a Morpheus type sharing program aimed entirely at trading complete live concerts by artists. There are some advantages to this program that make it fantastic:

-It's supposedly completely legal. this I have doubts with but they claim that all artists shared are ones that allow taping of live shows, and there is no advertising.
-FAST! there's a small amount of users now, so this might change.
-SHN. a new format that claims no loss of frequencies over a WAV file, but is half the file size.
-quality and authenticity. many of the concerts are supplied by the bootleggers themselves, and sometimes include photos and text files with their comments on the show. many shows were recorded with the deck plugged into the sound guy's board, and are of incredible quality.

So that's about it. I suggest checking it out. You can download either SHN or MP3 files, and fast! *(edit - and you can always get the winamp plugin for SHN files, export to WAV, and convert to MP3 to play on the empeg )*

The program can be found at:
www.furthurnet.com

Info on SHN (shorten) can be found at:
www.etree.org/shnamp.html

Edited by DiGNAN17 (09/03/2002 00:39)

#78909 - 09/03/2002 09:29 Re: Shorten [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There are a bunch of lossless audio codecs that exist these days. Shorten is one of the most well known. A good list is available at FLAC's comparison page.

Thanks for the Furthur link, though. I'll have to check that out.