Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#82549 - 20/03/2002 08:38 RIO Receiver in the UK ?
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Hi,

Has anyone managed to source a Rio Receiver in the UK ever ?

Or indeed has anyone managed to buy a similar unit in the UK. There are lots around in the US (The Dell badged unit, Audiotron and the Motorola Simplefi) but no-one in the UK seems to stock or have heard of them.

It's definately using the PC as an MP3 server that I want to do, porting it straight into my amp.

#82550 - 20/03/2002 08:41 Re: RIO Receiver in the UK ? [Re: LTJBukem]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
No, despite ordering from several places and waiting for six months I never managed to buy one from here. We ended up getting a work colleague to to buy them from Rio in the states and ship them over. Extremely frustrating experience, almost enough to put you off attempting (which is the operative word) to buy anything from Rio again...

The Dell unit is not available anymore by the way, it was discontinued long ago.

#82551 - 20/03/2002 08:46 Re: RIO Receiver in the UK ? [Re: andy]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

And as far as we know, none of the other brands of unit have ever become available in the UK ?

#82552 - 20/03/2002 09:53 Re: RIO Receiver in the UK ? [Re: andy]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The Receiver has never been launched outside of the USA. Nobody has claimed otherwise!

Rob

#82553 - 20/03/2002 10:08 Re: RIO Receiver in the UK ? [Re: rob]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Yeah I know, i've never seen any adverts or anything in the UK.

Does anyone know of any plans to launch products which operate in a similar way to the Rio Receiver ? It's the ability to use my PC as a giant multiroom music server that I really want. CD's are just sooooo 90's. Use the Empeg in the house .. definately, but i'm not always at home and other are.

#82554 - 20/03/2002 10:26 Re: RIO Receiver in the UK ? [Re: rob]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Somehow several UK suppliers got the idea (all at the same time) that they would be able to get stock of the Rio Receiver to sell. I can't believe that this is a coincidence, someone at SonicBlue/Rio must have told them they were going to get stock.

They can't all have been intending just to buy direct from SonicBlue in the states, as they were all quoting prices well under the US list price from the SB site, even before duty a shipping from the states was added.

This all happened when SonicBlue/Rio was being streamlined, so perhaps the person that gave the UK etailers the nod is no longer around ?

#82555 - 20/03/2002 11:06 Re: RIO Receiver in the UK ? [Re: LTJBukem]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Has anyone managed to source a Rio Receiver in the UK ever ?

You might want to consider going over to the appropriate BBS ( http://rioreceiver.comms.net ) and discussing this question there. There's several threads and a FAQ entry on the subject over there.