Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#82866 - 21/03/2002 20:07 small ebay warning
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
a copy of a post listed here.
Though some may appreciate it as we tend to have a similar interest to this guy.

In reply to:

Hello all,

Me and several users are being ripped off by a crook named " ALAASIATIC " ( [email protected] ) on Ebay. That guy seems to be a DJ who likes to sell tshirts and LP's but in his spare time..will sell Audio Gear such as Mackie mixers, Monitors and turntables..what a mess..

I bought a LOT of time from Ebay without any incidents...

Here is the story:

I won an auction for a pair of brand new Mackie HR824 Monitors, sent him a money order since the guy didnt accepted Paypal and couldnt use BidPay cause there was a 700$ limit with them.

And now, 1 week and a half later no news, doesnt reply to any of my emails and moreover he seems to have vanished like a ghost.

I got his full adress:

M. Edwards
PO BOX 15032
PhiladelphiA, PA
19130 USA

I managed to locate this PO where he actually picked my money order and stole the money and it is Curtisville Main OFfice.

Tomorrow i am gonna call them to have more info that guy since he had a PO BOX there.

If anyone who is reading this knows who he is and can help...that would be greatly appreciated,

In the meantime be safe and dont DONT! buy anything from that dumbass..

-Dan

#82867 - 21/03/2002 21:05 Re: small ebay warning [Re: muzza]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Be sure to talk to the postmaster. Since the US mail is involved, they may take up the case.

#82868 - 21/03/2002 22:07 Re: small ebay warning [Re: muzza]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
If so many peopke have gotten ripped off by this guy, how come he has only one negative review in the last month?

#82869 - 21/03/2002 22:11 Re: small ebay warning [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Right. I got checks stolen out of my mailbox a few years back and they weren't even remotely interested.

#82870 - 22/03/2002 16:22 Re: small ebay warning [Re: muzza]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Posting this in hindsight for the benefit of others ......

Don't send money to P.O. boxes?

#82871 - 22/03/2002 17:27 Re: small ebay warning [Re: AndrewT]
NiCKEL
journeyman

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
It isn't an uncommon request.

I have completed several ebay transactions quite successfully were the seller requested that payment be sent to a PO box.

#82872 - 22/03/2002 19:03 Re: small ebay warning [Re: muzza]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Murray --

I have a lot of ebay experience, and from what I can see, looking at this guy's feedback and auctions, I think you may be more concerned than is necessary.

You just don't get 200 positive feedbacks on ebay by being a flake. The six or seven negative feedbacks he has would seem to be explainable. If it has only been a week and a half... don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. Maybe he's been out of town on a family emergency, maybe his computer is broken, maybe... any number of things.

I just this week finally resolved an ebay problem with an auction that closed more than three months ago. The seller couldn't deliver the product. He wasn't a crook, he was just so embarassed about the whole thing that he didn't want to talk about it, and kept hoping that he would be able to get the stuff together and send it to me but never could. (Long story, not important, why he couldn't...)

Eventually, and in no small part because I was kind and trusting, never accusatory, he refunded my money, and even added (unprompted) additional money for my trouble.

I have never met a "bad" person on ebay. Some of them just might need a little more understanding than others.

Of course, YMMV. No guarantees...

tanstaafl.

#82873 - 22/03/2002 19:17 Re: small ebay warning [Re: tanstaafl.]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
My roommate bought a copy of easy cd creator that was listed as a new copy of the full retail version. When it arrived it was a cd-r in a blank jewel case.

I would call that seller a bad person

Matt

#82874 - 01/04/2002 00:13 Re: small ebay warning [Re: msaeger]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
lol thats classic how much did ur roommate pay for it?

#82875 - 01/04/2002 00:52 Re: small ebay warning [Re: justinlarsen]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I think it was 35 dollars

Matt

#82876 - 01/04/2002 01:37 Re: small ebay warning [Re: msaeger]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this...

I was just going to check on a couple auctions I have going at eBay and when I loaded the front page, I got the attached graphic.

I don't know how they got the header to do that. Pretty impressive.

Edit: Duh, stupid me. It's April 1st.

Attachments
82913-ebay2.jpg (84 downloads)

Edited by svferris (01/04/2002 01:39)

#82877 - 01/04/2002 03:29 Re: small ebay warning [Re: svferris]
JBCP
journeyman

Loc: New Jersey
I thought you all may find this interesting. Someone was purchasing MP3 players with stolen credit cards and selling them on Ebay about a year ago, after a lot of begging and work, the postal inspectors have arrested him. He has sold over 300 items on Ebay, almost all of which they say were stolen. At the time of his arrest he had already accepted payment from about 15 people whose products had not shipped. Now they have a huge mess with buyers asking for money back or shipment, and the owners of the stolen products demanding their products back.

Sitting next to a computer they found a book "How To Hide Money In Off-Shore Bank Accounts". No money was found in his apartment, and no bank accounts have been found in his name.

For your sake, I hope this is not what happened to your Ebay seller. The seller I am talking about had a different name, and was in a different state.