Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#84962 - 02/04/2002 13:56 Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
When I try to synch my player I get this message:

Synchronize failed while connecting to player
Failed to open database connection (error 0x80040015)

Currently I'm running the 2.0 beta11 software. does this only when using ethernet, and I'm not using XP (Win 2000 Pro). Reads the player fine when opening Emplode. I can navigate through playlists, genres, years, artists, etc.. but it crashes immediately when changes have been made and synch is started. Crashes at the task named "Connecting to player". I have already re-loaded the beta software on the player and this didn't work.

Thank you in advance for your time

#84963 - 13/04/2002 10:21 Re: Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP [Re: bodybag]
bodybag
addict

I still haven't been able to get this issue resolved, still needing the boards help!!! UPDATE IS - No matter where I connect to the player (home on XP or office on win2000) using ethernet (at work over a LAN and at home directly into the NIC), the emplode software finds the player and opens the database without a hitch EVERYTIME. However, as soon as I try to synch, emplode responds with "Sychronize failed while connecting to player. Could not connect socket (error 0x80040038)". Additionally, on very rare occasions, if I work very quickly to make my changes to the player, I can get a sucessful synch, but all changes need to be made in 30 seconds or less and even this doesn't always work. Sometimes, this will start to sych and then durring one of the steps crash with an error "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. Error 0x80072746". Any ideas??? Only an issue with one of my units, all the rest work fine using the same equiptment. Another noteable pice of info is that this player was working fine on ethernet until aboput 10days ago when this started happening.

#84964 - 13/04/2002 11:25 Re: Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Did you happen to accidentally try to plug the USB cable or something else into the ethernet jack, thus bending the pins and making the ethernet port work intermittently? Check the pins on the ethernet port to make sure they are all evenly-spaced in a straight row.

#84965 - 13/04/2002 11:31 Re: Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

I haven't stuck anything other than the ethernet plug into that hole (although, I've heard that can happen to even some of the best Empegers around). I have, however, checked the pins due to info I read in another post (you know what I mean), and the pins look fine.

#84966 - 13/04/2002 11:34 Re: Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So you're saying that the same software and the same computer and the same cable work fine with another player.

But with this one particular player they do not work.

Assuming the same player-firmware-version is installed on the two players, then that leaves two thing as a possible issue: 1) there is a hardware problem, for instance, a bad ethernet port, or 2) there is something about the music/database installed on the player messing it up. Either way, sounds like contacting support would be the right way to go.

Unless it's something simple like you've used Hijack to block ethernet communications with the player or something...

#84967 - 13/04/2002 11:47 Re: Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

Yeah, same, same same.... I was thinking bad ethernet port on the player itself too. Not even running Hijack so that's out. And this player works fine when synching with serial or USB so I think that would rule out music/database issues. Thanks, I think it's time for support.

#84968 - 14/04/2002 03:24 Re: Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
The ...15 error occurs when the player is responding to ethernet broadcasts, but not to ethernet unicast connects. This was a known problem with the earlier betas. It's possible that we've still not managed to fix it.

#84969 - 14/04/2002 10:50 Re: Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Is it possible that there's just a mis-assigned IP address on that player? For instance, he's assigned it an address on the wrong subnet? Or perhaps its address conflicts with another IP on his network?

#84970 - 14/04/2002 20:22 Re: Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP [Re: tfabris]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Or perhaps there is a screaming network card on his network causing massive collisions.

#84971 - 15/04/2002 14:14 Re: Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

The IP conflict has been checked out at my office and ruled out. Not to mention, when I connect at home, there is no LAN, just a direct connection to my NIC via a crossover cable and I still have the same problem.

#84972 - 15/04/2002 14:20 Re: Failure while connecting to player... Not using XP [Re: bodybag]
bodybag
addict

BTW, When I was checking to see if I had an IP conflict on our LAN at my office I did find a conflicting IP and corrected it which has eliminated a problem I mentioned in a previous reply to this string "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. Error 0x80072746". However, I am STILL having the nagging ...15 error that I originally reported in this post, as well as the "Sychronize failed while connecting to player. Could not connect socket (error 0x80040038)". These are still occuring both at home and at work.