Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#88599 - 17/04/2002 11:46 Tony Levin, tonight in Sacramento
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Tony Levin, of King Crimson and also the bass player in Peter Gabriel's band, is playing tonight at The Boardwalk in Sacramento. www.boardwalkrocks.com . For anyone on the BBS that's a Sacramento resident.

#88600 - 18/04/2002 09:51 Re: Tony Levin, tonight in Sacramento [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What a show!

I have the band's autographs on the new CD. Got a chance to talk to each of them a bit. Great guys, every one.

Whenever they get last night's audience photo up, I'm hoping I'll be in it, but I'm not sure.

The guitar player was amazing. He broke his high E in the middle of a big solo, so he got the guitar squealing and set it down on the guitar stand. As he was picking up his backup guitar, he was pressing the whammy bar on the broken-string guitar with his foot to keep the note going. If you hadn't been looking, you wouldn't have known he'd broken a string, it was amazing.

Tony played almost all Stick, a significant amount of fretless bass, and some of that stand-up electric cello. They played three King Crimson tunes ("Elephant Talk" was their opening encore), and one never-before-released Peter Gabriel composition called "Dog One" from the old, old days.

Speaking of which, Tony says Peter's new album is due out 3rd quarter this year, the tour will begin in November/December. It's gonna be a great year.

During one song introduction, Tony mentioned his roots in "Prog Rock" and I was reminded of our discussion on the subject in another thread. When I asked him about it, he said he doesn't try to define it, he's not good at that sort of thing. So I figure that if a member of King Crimson can't put a definition on "Progressive Rock", then there's no point in the rest of us trying. Right?

#88601 - 19/04/2002 00:43 Re: Tony Levin, tonight in Sacramento [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    Speaking of which, Tony says Peter's new album is due out 3rd quarter this year
Woo-Hoo!

#88602 - 19/04/2002 00:55 Re: Tony Levin, tonight in Sacramento [Re: wfaulk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey that's my catch-phrase.

#88603 - 19/04/2002 09:42 Re: Tony Levin, tonight in Sacramento [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Whenever they get last night's audience photo up, I'm hoping I'll be in it, but I'm not sure.

Darn narrow-angle lens. I'm the black shoulder and ear in the lower right corner.