Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#90764 - 27/04/2002 21:37 Watch the idio screw himself...
dork
new poster

I'm a newbie, and have managed to screw up my player. I read the FAQs, searched the archives, and am still hopelessly lost.

I have a 40GB Mk2, that I upgraded to 2.0b11 and hijack v260. There are no hardware upgrades on my player. It has been working fine for just over a week, which was the date of the last upgrade.

Well, I decided to rebuild the thing because my mp3 file structure was stupid, and I needed to straighten out the tags. I pulled down the test builder image, and applied that to my player. I watched it run through Hyperterminal, and got to the point where it was doing the disk stress tests. I let that go for a couple of minutes, and then rebooted it. I shutdown the Hyperterminal, and then brought up the Emplode Upgrade Wizard to reapply the 2.0b11 kernel. When that comes up, it takes a couple of minutes, and then says "Car player not found".

I've tried a couple of different things, including using the Hyperterminal to leave the player at the bash prompt, leaving the player at the place in the builder where it is asking you to hit return or anything else, and tried logging out of the bash prompt, and in all of those cases, the Upgrade wizard can't find the player.

Is there something I needed to do at the end of the builder process to get it to the point where I can apply the 2.0b11 kernel? I thought that you just shut it down at the disk stress and then fired up the upgrade wizard.

I would really appreciate any help!!

Thanks!

#90765 - 27/04/2002 21:50 Re: Watch the idio screw himself... [Re: dork]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
The serial port cant be shared by 2 things at the same time. Exit out of hyperterminal before running the upgrade.

Sean

Edit: I dont think the disk formatter is really intended to be used as a mass delete tool. It would probably be faster just to delete the files from emplode or delete the fids and the tags from bash.

Edited by Terminator (27/04/2002 21:55)

#90766 - 27/04/2002 21:53 Re: Watch the idio screw himself... [Re: dork]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I may be wrong, but I think that if you apply the builder - you have basically wiped the disks clean (and maybe put on Linux and setup partitions?) So there is no player software applied, ie no player to be found.

I would just unplug it. Start up the Upgrade Wizard. And finally apply power when it asks you to.

#90767 - 27/04/2002 21:54 Re: Watch the idio screw himself... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Oh yeah, what he said...

#90768 - 29/04/2002 16:40 Re: Watch the idio screw himself... [Re: dork]
guardian__J
enthusiast

Loc: MI, USA
I think your problem is that you have the player turned on when it is trying to Upgrade.
You do not want power on it at all until it says "Apply Power to the Empeg"