Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#92378 - 07/05/2002 15:10 Ethernet working with Hijack but not with emplode
pache
new poster

Loc: Switzerland
I have install Hijack v266 and emplode beta11.
I can acces my empeg with Hijack via http and ftp. I can access my empeg with emplode via serial and USB but not ethernet.
I use a static IP because I never manage emplode to get a dynamic IP with my DHCP server (I use it at home).

Any idea?
Daniel

Edited by pache (07/05/2002 15:11)

#92379 - 07/05/2002 15:22 Re: Ethernet working with Hijack but not with emplode [Re: pache]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Ethernet troubleshooting tips are here.

#92380 - 07/05/2002 16:16 Re: Ethernet working with Hijack but not with emplode [Re: pache]
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
That's very odd. I assume we're talking about the same computer here, which can see the empeg via ftp/http but not via emplode, at the same time (i.e. no reboots in between)?

Have you tried forcing the IP in the emplode settings - or if you're doing that already, instead asking it to poll the network for any active empeg devices? Do neither of these options work?

You haven't by any chance got the 'disable_emplode=1' setting in your hijack config? (see here for config settings)

Let us know,

A.
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#92381 - 07/05/2002 16:35 Re: Ethernet working with Hijack but not with emplode [Re: snoopstah]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That's very odd. I assume we're talking about the same computer here, which can see the empeg via ftp/http but not via emplode, at the same time (i.e. no reboots in between)?

This would not be unusual if he had firewall software such as the XP personal firewall, BlackICE, ZoneAlarm, etc., running. Those would allow Hijack HTTP but not emplode. Again, covered in the ethernet troubleshooting tips here.

Also, I would think that if the player were on a different subnet than the PC, that HTTP would work but emplode would not. Also covered in the troubleshooting tips.

#92382 - 07/05/2002 17:04 Re: Ethernet working with Hijack but not with emplode [Re: tfabris]
snoopstah
enthusiast

In reply to:

This would not be unusual if he had firewall software such as the XP personal firewall, BlackICE, ZoneAlarm, etc., running. Those would allow Hijack HTTP but not emplode. Again, covered in the ethernet troubleshooting tips here.

This is true. I forget about WinXP's built in firewall.
In reply to:

Also, I would think that if the player were on a different subnet than the PC, that HTTP would work but emplode would not. Also covered in the troubleshooting tips.

I'm virtually certain this wouldn't occur though. TCP/IP is TCP/IP - if you're connecting on port 21/80 or port 8300(?), it makes no difference - you can either get there, or you can't. The only case I could see this happening is if he only had the software scanning for the empeg, rather than having the IP entered. Even then though, I imagine the emplode software outputs a broadcast packet that would arrive and be replied to from anywhere.

Cheers,

A.

#92383 - 07/05/2002 18:40 Re: Ethernet working with Hijack but not with empl [Re: snoopstah]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
In reply to:

I imagine the emplode software outputs a broadcast packet that would arrive and be replied to from anywhere.

Broadcast packets aren't routable, they only bounce around your local subnet. If your player resides on a different subnet, ftp/http/ping will be able to reach it fine, but emplode won't find it by sending out a broadcast packet.

Matthew

#92384 - 08/05/2002 03:37 Re: Ethernet working with Hijack but not with empl [Re: matthew_k]
snoopstah
enthusiast

Hmmm... interesting. I'm sure I had this working once, but maybe I had the IP entered manually rather than searching the local 'net for it.

Ah well, my bad.

Cheers,

A.

#92385 - 08/05/2002 12:58 Re: Ethernet working with Hijack but not with emplode [Re: tfabris]
pache
new poster

Ok. Thank you. And sorry guys.
As always we could find the answer in the faq.
One of my hub don't work with emplode. When i connect the ethernet cable to my switch it works fine.

Thank's

#92386 - 08/05/2002 13:37 Re: Ethernet working with Hijack but not with emplode [Re: pache]
pache
new poster

I done some new tests with my hub. IT WORKS KNOW. I didn't reboot my PC, but maybe it's because I plug in and out the cable or because I reboot twice my empeg. I don't know. Anyway IT WORKS !!!!!