Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#92659 - 08/05/2002 16:51 Problems with running out of space
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I'm having a couple of different problems with running out of space on my player.

If you put more MP3s on your player than it can fit, it gives you errors when you synchronise. But, once you say OK, there's no way to see which ones weren't uploaded. Couldn't emplode maintain a state in which those files are still set to be uploaded so that you can either remove them or other files and then resynch? Or at least there should be a way to view your synch logs so you can see what the errors were.

Another thing is that according to emplode, I had room on my player. But, when I tried to synch, it complained there wasn't enough room. So, I'm back to 27.3MB "free" space. If the empeg really needs that 27MB of free space, it shouldn't tell me I have it to fill. So, I'd like to see the free space indicator adjusted so that it reports the space accurately.

#92660 - 08/05/2002 17:14 Re: Problems with running out of space [Re: svferris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's supposed to already have all of that stuff accounted for. Hey guys, I thought you already nailed all the bugs in this area?

#92661 - 09/05/2002 03:28 Re: Problems with running out of space [Re: svferris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
If a track fails to make it to the player, it should still be marked as new or changed. Try doing an advanced search for: "new or changed" (minus the quotes), after the sync fails. If the tracks aren't in there, then you've found another bug.

The fact that emplode lets you add more tracks than it thinks you've got space for is by design. ISTR that it warns you when you press the sync button.

Theoretically, the free space indicator is accurate. Obviously, you've found a case where it's not. Unless you're running 1.03, in which case, all bets are off.

#92662 - 09/05/2002 09:40 Re: Problems with running out of space [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Unless you're running 1.03, in which case, all bets are off.

First thing I thought of, but his signature states 2.0 b11.

#92663 - 09/05/2002 10:33 Re: Problems with running out of space [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I'm not being spectacularly observant today, am I? I'll put it down to being ill .

#92664 - 20/05/2002 18:29 Re: Problems with running out of space [Re: Roger]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Ok, I went and tested this again to look more carefully. I'm running 2.0b11 empeg and emplode. I'm also running Hijack v. 263

I had 36MB free on the player. I first threw in a 40MB file. The free space went into negative numbers and when I tried to sync, it gave me an error saying there wasn't enough free space. I then threw in 3 MP3s files that were approximately 10MB each. The free space indicator told me I still had 2.95MB free. I went to sync and got absolutely no warnings before hand. It seemed to upload the first file fine, but when it got to the second file, it stopped and went straight to rebuilding. When it finished, it gave me errors on the two other files, saying space was below allowed minimum. It also gave me an error that my playlist did not match actual number of children detected.

I closed the error box and went back to the playlist that I had put the files into. The first file was in there fine. But, the other two files were nowhere to be found. The playlist was marked as changed, though. Also, my free space indicator went back up to 25MB.

So, it looks like there are two issues here. First, the free space indicator is incorrect. It should take into account the amount of free space that is needed for the empeg to work, and adjust accordingly. Then, you really can fill your empeg to 0MB free space and still be ok. Right now, it looks like you can't go under around 25MB.

The other issue is that files that have errors on them when uploading should not be removed from the playlists. They should stay there, marked as changed, so that I can make fixes as necessary, without having to remember what I put where.