Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#94975 - 20/05/2002 19:42 unassigned songs and how to find them
lofreq
stranger

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
i had a search thru the faq and could not find any relevant topics on this.

i downloaded jemplode with the intent of uploading the 007 tux animation to my mk2. after getting it set up and browsing the jemplode faq i hooked up the serial connection and started jemplode. took a long time to get database info and rebuild this and that thru the serial, but then it reported that there was one error with the drive, and told me to sync to fix it. didnt say what the error was. then it reported i had 614 unassigned files. im guessing these were songs that somehow were not assigned to any playlist.

checked all songs, indeed there was about 4000 songs in the 'all songs' list, but loading all songs on the mk2 (down down down) and looking at the song count reveals only 3300 something files.

a new folder in red appeared called unassigned files - i was able to drag the files from here and stick them back into the playlists i wanted - so i did that. problem seemed solved until after i synced - checked the player - still only 3300 songs, and now i am coming up with exact duplicates of songs in the playlists i added the files to.

checked in both jemplode and emplode 2.0b11 - both report the duplicate files on the unit. resyncing with jemplode no longer tells me i have unassigned files....

it was all too messy to go thru and delete one by one. i pulled the plug and deleted all songs off the empeg and started reuploading them again, after many passes with mp3tagstudio 2.18 to ensure my id3 tags were correct and that there were no duplicates on the hard drive, which there were not.

1.5 days of uploading later, all done, 4000 songs on the unit, down down down, only 3800 in the playlist. pull out hair. load jemplode hoping it will tell me / show me the unassigned files - nothing.

investigated more - i had duplicates again. now i realise that jemplode/emplode lists the id3 tags, not the filenames. and it had duplicates there. what im assuming is that i have (in some cases) 2 different(?) files on the drive... but both with the same id3 tag info... and when you go 'down down down' the player automatically filters out the duplicate tags... and so my final playlist size goes down. this is just a guess based on what ive seen.

where the heck are the missing files!? what exactly is happening? i know this is probably not the first time anyones asked this... but please be patient. any help from you guys is much appreciated. i may be doing things wrong too, and i need to know how to work around the problems

im running XP and primarily use emplode 2.0b11. it regularly has the known synch problem. could it possibly screw up the sync when it gets the error, and start uploading/writing duplicates?

any help appreciated. thanks, everyone

-nige

ps: how do you 'reset' the number of 'plays' any one song has had? is this a changeable feature?

#94976 - 20/05/2002 19:52 Re: unassigned songs and how to find them [Re: lofreq]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
At the current time, I don't think there's anything wrong with your player and I don't think there's any unassigned songs.

Relevant FAQ entries are here, here, and here.

If you do want to find unassigned songs, the relevant FAQ entry is here.

#94977 - 20/05/2002 20:55 Re: unassigned songs and how to find them [Re: tfabris]
lofreq
stranger

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
thanks tony

the files on my HDD are definitely not duplicated - all of them only reside in one place. i store my music by genre and basically copied the structure across to my empeg.

however i did miss the notes in the faq about m3u files duplicating content, and about how to find unassigned tracks using advanced search refs=0 - i will try these out tonite.

#94978 - 22/05/2002 16:15 Re: unassigned songs and how to find them [Re: lofreq]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Another aspect of this that you might fund useful is described here

tanstaafl.