Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#95310 - 22/05/2002 15:51 BBS software for a non-profit?
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I'm exploring the possibility of hosting a BBS for a non-profit organization (potentially two, actually). Given the nature of the organization, I'm looking for something that is free, and, given the nature of the potential administrator I am looking for something that is at least idiot-resistant!

Actually the first criteria (free) is the one that is non-negotiable.

My first stop was sourceforge and I looked at a few that are fairly high in activity rating. Tops on that list was phpBB. The features did not look too shabby.

I don't want to make this overly complicated -- I only expect a few forums -- but I also need enough sophistication to validate/control membership and I think that e-mail notification of messages would be very useful in this case.

So, the purpose of this post is to see if anyone has any recommendations of another package to look at or, for that matter, any critical advice (Like, "You Fool!")

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#95311 - 22/05/2002 16:18 Re: BBS software for a non-profit? [Re: jimhogan]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

I have you tried Snitz?

#95312 - 22/05/2002 16:35 Re: BBS software for a non-profit? [Re: acurasquirrel_]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

I have you tried Snitz?

Well, I haven't really tried anything yet. Just getting ready for a first download/trial. I did see Snitz pretty high on the "activity" list and visited the Snitz home page. I have to say that, all other things being equal, I'd gravitate toward something based on PHP, though (perhaps I should add that to my list). A GPL'd ASP-oriented solution. Interesting, that! But ASP is not anything I have any ambition to learn about.

Thanks,

Jim

#95313 - 22/05/2002 17:11 Re: BBS software for a non-profit? [Re: jimhogan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I set up an ikonboard once. It was super easy, free, and does the email thread tracking.

#95314 - 22/05/2002 17:51 Re: BBS software for a non-profit? [Re: jimhogan]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
if you want an extreme example of what Phpbb can do, check out wil wheatons bbs that my hosting biz hosts... it gets insane amounts of traffic...

http://www.wilwheaton.net/phpBB2

#95315 - 23/05/2002 13:58 Re: BBS software for a non-profit? [Re: loren]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Thanks for that link. I just e-mailed it to my contact as an example. I think I am going to download both phpBB and Ikonboard and evaluate. Thanks Loren and Rob for those suggestions and examples.

#95316 - 23/05/2002 17:57 Re: BBS software for a non-profit? [Re: jimhogan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Keep us updated on which one you choose. If I were to do a BBS again, I would have gone with Ikonboard. But, if you think the other was better I would take your evaluation into consideration.