Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#95874 - 26/05/2002 14:26 Emusic - Yes or No?
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Ages ago I looked at emusic and thought about signing up... Now I'm looking at it again and deciding if it would be worth it. I havn't signed up for the free trial, mainly because I have a habbit of forgetting to cancel free trials before they turn into real subcriptions...

I found a few posts about emusic mp3's having problems playing on the empeg, but that was way back in the 1.0 days and emusic was supposed to be reripping all of their mp3s... Since nothing has been mentioned since I assume the problem is long gone...

Does anyone use it and feel it's worth the monthly subscription? Legitimate mp3's from bands I've heard of would be a nice thing to have without buying CDs. Are the ID3 tags already filled out? that would nearly seal the deal...

Anyways... I'll probably sign up for the free trial and check it out, but figured I'd ask here first...

Matthew

#95875 - 26/05/2002 16:00 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: matthew_k]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
ya i would be interested in knowing as well they got some good tunes on that site.

#95876 - 26/05/2002 16:08 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: matthew_k]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
I wouldn't. I signed up for the free trial. Aside from the limited selection, everything is at 128, and still sounds crappy.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#95877 - 26/05/2002 16:19 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: Heather]
justinlarsen
old hand

eww 128, ya.. looks like i need to stick to the illegal and rip my own cds at 192, hrm.. its a shame, if it was 192 i would give my money to them.

#95878 - 26/05/2002 18:14 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: justinlarsen]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Justin,
There's nothing illegal about ripping your own CD's whatsoever. FWIW.

-Zeke

#95879 - 26/05/2002 19:29 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: matthew_k]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I have been signed up for a long time and I think it's great. I haven't had a problem playing anything on the empeg or my riot. 128k sounds fine to me but thats personal opinion. I haven't wasted my time ripping songs at a bunch of bit rates and comparing them.

I originaly signed up because of the epitaph stuff but I have found many bands I have never heard of that I like (like elf power) .

It's like less than the cost of one cd a month so it's not hard to justify for me.

Matt

#95880 - 27/05/2002 01:47 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: Ezekiel]
justinlarsen
old hand

well no ripping other peoples rather then, ussually when i really like an album i will go out and buy it, most of the time if its a good rip ill just leave it in the wrapper, but its just disapointing there isnt an easier way. i mean i love the opurtiunity to support my artist and download real mp3s that i can accully use, but they sound no good, i can tell i downloaded a few of the free ones, they are muffled and distorted

#95881 - 27/05/2002 11:49 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: justinlarsen]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Well, if I were a musician and wanted to let people try my music and still encourage them to buy a CD I'd only release lower bitrate mp3's. Any source othere than rip your own is going to be imperfect, but hey you're getting what your're (not) paying for in that case. It's a trade off I guess. No need to rehash that old conversation any more...

-Zeke

#95882 - 27/05/2002 13:10 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: Ezekiel]
justinlarsen
old hand

no, i always get offical group releases of albums in perfect 192, there are zero flaws, and as ive said before if its an artist i really like, ill go out and buy there album, but with some artist i just download them for kicks, like metallica. i dont like them very much but becuase they made such a big fuss about mp3s i decied to download all of there albums

#95883 - 28/05/2002 02:51 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: justinlarsen]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
metallica. i dont like them very much but becuase they made such a big fuss about mp3s i decied to download all of there albums

Dude, you fell right into their trap! Before you know it, random play will have made you a Metallica fan, and you'll be such a revenue stream to them from your gig-ticket and merchandise purchasing that they'll never need to record another studio album again! Metallica may be rockers but they're not stupid...

Peter

#95884 - 28/05/2002 12:54 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: peter]
justinlarsen
old hand

lol, i dont put them on my empeg, the funny thing is about the whole fuss over illegal mp3s, is the artist dont reallt make much off of selling there cd's most of there money comes from concerts, and theres really no true way of pirating that, video dosnt do a concert juctice, unless its the nine inch nails dvd played on an imax screen, but thats still pushing it

#95885 - 28/05/2002 13:11 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Artists don't always make money on tours. In fact, once upon a time, the tours were for the purpose of increasing CD sales, not the other way around.

I believe it was Bill Graham himself that said a rock concert tour was the single fastest way to either lose money or to make money, depending on how it turns out. Even some really big artists are known for having lost significant wads of cash putting on tours.

#95886 - 28/05/2002 13:32 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
And some artists simply CAN'T tour. Either they are on one side of the pond and can't afford to cross it for an international tour or their particular type of music doesn't translate well into touring (ie albums that are designed with computers).

I don't thnk Enya has ever toured has she?

#95887 - 28/05/2002 13:35 Re: Emusic - Yes or No? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't thnk Enya has ever toured has she?

Yeah, who was it that said on this BBS... was it Jim? "It's cheap to be an Enya fan, since she never tours, and you really only need to own one Enya album."