Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#95934 - 27/05/2002 14:27 Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect.
Emberwilde
new poster

Loc: Iowa
Well, first off, I'll just mention that my MP3 libary is in shambles, and that before I got my Empeg, I really didn't bother setting up the tags or filenames correctly.

I've been using MusicMatch Jukebox because of its Super-Tagging ability, as long as the tags or filenames are somewhat idenifiable then it will be able to query a number of choices. It's not always correct, but the majority of the time it saves alot of time.

I was wonder if there is a stand alone program that will do it, instead of all the frills that come with the jukebox? I'm also looking for a genre database,whether it be a program or webside. Yes, I'm lazy, I just don't want to rerip all my cd's to my harddrive and do it correctly.

Emberwilde - Upon whispering winds, I weep, come and gone like a dream in sleep.

#95935 - 27/05/2002 15:55 Re: Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect. [Re: Emberwilde]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
There are two programs that usually are advised when this gets asked :

Tag & Rename
and
Mp3 tag Studio

I'm using Tag & Rename myself. Dunno why. Probably because it was the first program I used and since it does everything I want it to I didn't bother to try the second.
Some people swear by it though.

#95936 - 27/05/2002 16:37 Re: Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect. [Re: BartDG]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Can either of those programs do a tag lookup, though? It was my understanding that they're really advanced tag editors.

The feature he's talking about in MusicMatch actually takes what tag information might exist, as well as how the file is named, and does a database lookup to see if it can find full tag information for the song. As he said, not 100% accurate, but usually pretty good.

I'd be curious to see any other programs that do this.

#95937 - 28/05/2002 19:57 Re: Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect. [Re: svferris]
Emberwilde
new poster

Loc: Iowa
Nod, that's exactly what I meant, even though I didn't articulate myself very well. I've tried both the Tag & Rename
and Mp3 tag Studio and I do use Tag & Rename for renaming the files after getting the correct tag information from the MusicMatch Service.

Roy ~ Emberwilde

#95938 - 29/05/2002 12:54 Re: Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect. [Re: Emberwilde]
svferris
addict

That's basically what I do (or plan to do once I finish ripping). I have tons of files that aren't tagged quite right.

The new version of MusicMatch (in beta right now) will automatically tag album art now as well.

#95939 - 29/05/2002 12:57 Re: Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect. [Re: svferris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I hope you can turn that off.... I don't want album art..

#95940 - 29/05/2002 13:11 Re: Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
svferris
addict

Hmm, looks like there isn't a setting. But, if you tag one file, it's easy to just click the "Remove Art" button before you apply the changes. And, if you look up a ton of tracks, you would just need to select all the tracks and click "Remove Art".

I think they figure the typical user would like the album art in the tag. Another cool feature that I actually like more is automatically displaying the album art even though it's not in the tag. It does a look up with the ID3 info and gets a art URL from the Guide. It then displays this in the media window. So, you have the art without having to put it in the tag.

#95941 - 29/05/2002 13:15 Re: Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect. [Re: svferris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
My one complaint about MM was that it always assumed that I had a net connection... so I'd have to wait and wait for it to time out on certain things... (because I am rarely online at home). Obviously, when you are super tagging, you will need to be connected to the net. ..

I do really like the "deferred cddb lookup' feature. That rocks!

#95942 - 29/05/2002 14:03 Re: Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
does it tag indiviuals songs? or do you have to have the whole album.

#95943 - 29/05/2002 14:38 Re: Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
svferris
addict

I know what you mean about the connecting to the internet. My boss says they've tried to reduce it so that if you disable the check(s) in the menu system, it shouldn't try to connect at all.

Make sure the two checkboxes under Options/Settings General Tab that are for Permissions are unchecked. Then, disable CD lookup (under CD Lookup/Connectivity). With these unchecked, the only other ways MMJB should try to connect is if you initiate the connection. This can be done in many ways, such as opening the Guide, Radio, or Now Playing windows, clicking on the Radio tab (in the playlist), using SuperTagger, etc.

But, for basic playback, library organization, etc., it shouldn't try to connect. Unfortunately, most of the cool features require you be connected to the internet.

#95944 - 29/05/2002 14:40 Re: Super-Tagging -- MusicMatch Jukebox ect. [Re: JeepBastard]
svferris
addict

The lookups are by individual song. So, you don't need to have the whole album. It sends back the file name and any ID3 tag info and tries to determine what CD it is from based on that information. If it finds it, it'll give you the option to retrieve the full tag info and apply it to the file.

The full info includes artist, album, song title, track #, album year, genre and album art.