Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#98208 - 07/06/2002 10:27 Help, no fan in the device
Dunterds
new poster

I have the mark2a device and no fan is insite! There is a hole for the fan. I have bought me a fan and i don't know where i can supply the fan.

Can anybody tell me the points where i can plug the cabel from the fan into?

thanks for help.

F. Sturm

#98209 - 07/06/2002 10:31 Re: Help, no fan in the device [Re: Dunterds]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
The empeg doesn't really need a fan, thus it doesn't come with one. However, if you feel a need to cool yours for some reason like you live in the middle of the Sahara desert, look at this thread for some experiments in empeg cooling.

#98210 - 07/06/2002 10:54 Re: Help, no fan in the device [Re: Dunterds]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Unless you are exposing the player to unusual amounts of heat (i.e., leaving it in the parked car on a hot summer day), you should not need a fan.

If you install a fan that is too large, it will get in the way of the shock-mount protection of the disk drives, which is potentially a worse problem than the player getting a little warm. You're better off just taking the player out of the car and bringing it with you when you leave the car.

Specs for the temperatures are listed here.

#98211 - 07/06/2002 11:15 Re: Help, no fan in the device [Re: tfabris]
F0X

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I was thinking of adding a fan aswell. I have my empeg mounted right above my CD player. In order to get them both in the dash where the factory double din unit was, I had to mount the empeg right against the CD player. If I have the volume up, in about 45 minutes the empeg will cut out at 55. Obviously not an ideal situation. I should really just get an external amp so that the CD player doesnt get so hot. Better yet, get rid of the CD player all together. Just waiting on a tuner solution

#98212 - 07/06/2002 11:23 Re: Help, no fan in the device [Re: F0X]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
In that situation, a fan may help. But I'd say you're better off without the CD player like you said.

#98213 - 07/06/2002 11:36 Re: Help, no fan in the device [Re: F0X]
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
FOX, dunno, but I have a similar setup, but with the empeg at the bottom... on a long drive with the CD player (and internal amp) near full, CDs in the player get almost too hot to touch, but the empeg barely reaches more than 45 degrees - and it stabilises at 43 degrees in my house.

I imagine this difference is because the empeg is below the CD unit... maybe worth trying, before voiding the warranty (if any) before fitting a fan?

HTH,

A.
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#98214 - 07/06/2002 12:35 Re: Help, no fan in the device [Re: snoopstah]
F0X

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I think having the CD on top, like you have it would definitely help. There is a lot of air space in the top of the empeg, but the mainboard (and temp sensor) is pretty much right against the bottom of the empeg. If it does get too hot, I pull the empeg and put in on the seat. The CD player is so hot that if I reach inside the empeg sled, I can't hold my hand on the bottom of the sled. I know, I know, how can I possibly put my poor empeg through this abuse? I have an upgrade planned to fix this in the near future.
Warranty is voided on my truck empeg already, so it is not an issue. Also, if I do attach the fan, I think I would drill the sled and attach it to the outside of the sled and run it off the ACC line.

#98215 - 09/06/2002 16:22 Re: Help, no fan in the device [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Unless you are exposing the player to unusual amounts of heat (i.e., leaving it in the parked car on a hot summer day), you should not need a fan.

Another solution is to do what I am doing this summer. Ride a motorcycle. Since the empeg is left at home, it dosen't have to deal with me keeping it in the car at work this year. Last year, I did have several times where I had to cool the unit down before driving off, mainly when I forgot to leave my windows cracked.

(And yes, I know, pull the unit out of the dash normally. My car sits in a secured parking lot at work, so theft is not a concern.)

#98216 - 10/06/2002 11:44 Re: Help, no fan in the device [Re: drakino]
f_devocht

Loc: Belgium
On a sidenote, what would be the best spot to mount an NTC?
I'm installing a 40mm fan with a NTC.

Frank